Costume for film and TV

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

MedicKitten

Postby MedicKitten » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:37 pm

with torches
The burning kind, or the flashlight kind? because if there's a group out there with flashlights...that's just funny!

I personally live way up in Darkest New Hampshire. Beyond the reach of civilization. :D

I think that makes me "East Kingdom"...but being from New Hampshire, we dont really hold with Flatlanders running kingdoms...they'll just mess it up!

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Teagirl

Postby Teagirl » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:10 pm

Burning, although I could hide a 4-cell Maglight down my bodice in a pinch, Pennsic gets dark at night.

I was in the Middle, but don't tell anyone.

I remember New Hampshire, we had a holiday once in Maine and went camping in NH. Well I call it a holiday but it mostly was spent avoiding noseeums and trying to find a place warm enough to swim.... much like Yorkshire in part, really!

I cooked a meal for Cariadoc once, does that make me good or bad?

Back to our scheduled discussion of 'What not to wear'.

-Su

Prime practitioner of headology and purveyor of beads.

Tillerman Beads

MedicKitten

Postby MedicKitten » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:14 pm

my biggest pet peeves of the season bid fair to be: lack of proper undergarments, lack of head covering, and REVERSIBLE BODICES. I know its a bit of costume snobbery on my part, but I really dont like them, especially made in upholstery or quilting novelty fabrics. :(

Teagirl

Postby Teagirl » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:20 pm

MedicKitten wrote:my biggest pet peeves of the season bid fair to be: lack of proper undergarments, lack of head covering, and REVERSIBLE BODICES. I know its a bit of costume snobbery on my part, but I really dont like them, especially made in upholstery or quilting novelty fabrics. :(

LOL.

Many years ago, my ex came home with numerous car-loads of upholstery fabric being discarded by the place where he worked, including a fetching diamond pattern in black with green on it. Full bolts of it, really nice cotton upholstery fabric (did a burn test), probably around 300 yards give or take. I made a gown, another gown, several arming doublets, a sunshade cover, ground cloths and gave a lot away to friends. I threatened to make a whole pavilion out of the stuff and then make everyone who had an outfit made with the fabric stand in front of it for a photo.

I was terribly guilty of every heinous costume sin there was, I think, but I wanted to learn and improve my research skills. To me that's the big thing, not that someone makes crap but that they want to move beyond it to something better.

Sadly I have only two photos of my old stuff, one is a terrible picture of a really good dress and the other is a good photo but my hat is wrong! So they stay hidden but if we start selling at the reenactors markets I'm plotting something nice for myself and something sensible for Mike.

-Su

Tillerman Beads

MedicKitten

Postby MedicKitten » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:25 pm

I threatened to make a whole pavilion out of the stuff and then make everyone who had an outfit made with the fabric stand in front of it for a photo.

I would have gone and done it, then claimed it was my livery, and that everyone wearing it was thus my vassal. I myself have OWNED a reversible bodice, back when i was...um...14 i think. Nor is every bit of upholstery evil...just the stuff with dogs playing cards. Ive seen it as a bodice. It was scary.

Teagirl

Postby Teagirl » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:44 pm

MedicKitten wrote:
I threatened to make a whole pavilion out of the stuff and then make everyone who had an outfit made with the fabric stand in front of it for a photo.

I would have gone and done it, then claimed it was my livery, and that everyone wearing it was thus my vassal. I myself have OWNED a reversible bodice, back when i was...um...14 i think. Nor is every bit of upholstery evil...just the stuff with dogs playing cards. Ive seen it as a bodice. It was scary.

The dogs! The dogs! The person who did that should be shot. Oh wait, I did a full bog dress with Kliban cats, but I did it on purpose! I even had a handout documentation booklet.

I did claim that everyone who wore the black and green diamonds was part of my household, but the problem was I didn't have one.

I do wish I still had some of the fabric, it was so comfortable and washed like a dream. But it did absorb water and at Pennsic there's always a lot of water.

I'm thinking of something I've never done before, to suit Mike's beadmaking, some A-S or perhaps a nifty bit from the Viking era. I'm haunting the wonderful Viking Answer Lady page as there is scope there for a lot of fun.

-Su

Tillerman Beads

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:52 pm

What I don't like is when a really lovely Elizabethan (or Henrican for that matter) bodice does not have boning. It really ruins the whole outfit because it's just such an unperiod look :(

Same goes for lovely gowns with modern shoes like trainers!

Lidi :)

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

MedicKitten

Postby MedicKitten » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:56 pm

Viking Answer Lady page
it IS fabulous, isnt it? I'm actually taking a class right now called "in search of the vikings" and i'm doing an excursis on viking textiles as my final project. (I'm hoping to go to grad school for medieval archeology, focusing on textiles)

Teagirl

Postby Teagirl » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:39 pm

I've had the pleasure of meeting Carolyn before, she's very good friends with the lady to whom I was apprenticed in the SCA. She's generous with her time and knowledge, and is just plain nice.

-Su

Tillerman Beads

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:28 pm

From Medickitten:
Bess and Edmund went to one last year, and, of course, looked AMAZING. I wonder what all the people who were HIRED for the faire thought of themselves by comparison?

From Lidi.
lol Bess looks amazing anyway And I bet she did blow their brains out..

unless there were a few who thought that her clothing was so different to theirs, it was obviously not 'authentic' by their standards?

You two are making me blush!!!

It was a wonderful weekend when Edmund and I went to the Bristol Renaissance Faire in Wisconsin. The Nobles (Queen's Court) knew we were coming and we had to be a bit careful on the Saturday otherwise we wouldn't have seen ANYTHING else of the event.

On the Saturday we found ourselves taking part in the daily "Presenting the Nobles to the Queen". I wonder what the lady who played the Queen must have thought when faced with Edmund and me - whom she would not have known!! She did it VERY well though.

On the Sunday, I came down about lunchtime and found that THIS time, the Nobles were NOT going to let me go whatsoever for the rest of the day!

I had a very surreal moment where I was sitting on a chair with a bevy of noble ladies on the floor in front of me pushing bits of embroidery and sewing that they had done onto my lap and asking my opinion. There were gentleman also standing around me asking questions about costume too. Their whole attitude was as though I was this brilliant costumer being a teacher to their work. I am not THAT good at all (I could understand it if Ninya Mikhaila was there!! She is a BRILLIANT costumer!!!).

Where was the Queen? Pretty much on her own trying to pretend that her ladies hadn't totally deserted her! It really was as though a second Court had sprung up in the middle of the proper one!!! Very surreal indeed.

What got me was the standard of costuming in the nobles is very good BUT it is very much full of "fair-isms" mainly thanks to the costuming book of the 1970s by "Winter and Savoy". Most nobles ladies skirts can't be made unless they have over 10 YARDS of fabric in it! they braid and then bead and then put more braid on as decoration so costumes tend to be very "busy" and the bodices are always separate from the skirts.

The Nobles were genuinely really lovely people and SO welcoming and I won't say a bad word about them. All they wanted to know was where they were going "wrong" with their costumes so I did point out that 10 yards of fabric really isn't needed!! I also pointed out that if they went for plain silks they wouldn't get so hot as they were with they heavy upholstery fabrics. A few of them said they would LOVE to get wools like my red 1569 wool gown. I said that most of my fabrics come from the USA! That practically floored them. :D

Edmund and I are thinking of going back out again this year and this time perhaps spending the evening with them after the event has closed for the night. I may have two new costumes this time.

All in all, it was a great place to visit. Its best not to try to compare with British re-enactment groups because the whole ethos is VERY different. The Brits like the idea of making sure everything is authentic and we seem to prefer "educating" visitors with entertainment as an extra, whereas the Ren Faires are Entertainment first and foremost.

SCA is very different again as there are no visitors. Its all done purely for the participants.

I think I prefer the British way but its no better or worse and there can be some dreadful costumes here in Britain as well.

Now, I just need to work out why this thread seems to have jumped three pages and not notified me!!

Hugs to all.

Bess.

Gentry/Tailor/Needlelace Maker - Kentwell.
www.myladyswardrobe.com

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:56 pm

Aw Bess you ARE a brilliant costumer! :shock:

Are there any piccies of your trip? I'm glad you had a great time and that the people were willing to learn from you :D

Lidi :D

(btw, getting VERY excited about Kentwell day trip in the summer!)

MedicKitten

Postby MedicKitten » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:02 pm

Edmund and I are thinking of going back out again this year
If you DO decide to come over this year, do tell me when! Ive never been to Bristol, and it sounds like quite a faire. Perhaps I should make the Pilgrimage.

I do LIKE most of the people in the SCA...I just find the ethos of the heavy fabrics odd considering how HOT summers get, especially for the Texas faires.

Teagirl

Postby Teagirl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:18 pm

MedicKitten wrote:
If you DO decide to come over this year, do tell me when! Ive never been to Bristol, and it sounds like quite a faire. Perhaps I should make the Pilgrimage.

I do LIKE most of the people in the SCA...I just find the ethos of the heavy fabrics odd considering how HOT summers get, especially for the Texas faires.

We used to refer to that as 'garb macho'.

-Su

Tillerman Beads

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:36 pm

Aw Bess you ARE a brilliant costumer!

Are there any piccies of your trip? I'm glad you had a great time and that the people were willing to learn from you

Lidi

:oops: You're making me blush again!! But thanks dear heart. Its very nice to be appreciated. If you can meet us outside the event in the evening at Kentwell you can see some of these costumes in person! Though I can only wear one!

We do indeed have some photos - have a look at these:

http://pics.livejournal.com/myladysward ... y/0000dy1y
These show mostly my new Venetian Nobledonna's gown. I wore this on the Sunday. Its not really something that can be worn at Kentwell but I could very easily wear it to a Renaissance Faire.

http://pics.livejournal.com/myladysward ... c/0001rwqk
This one is of the back of my red 1569 gown. I've been hauled in to join the "Nobles" when they are standing to greet the Queen in the afternoon and I am curtseying as she goes by.
The Queen is in purple! Queens in Ren Faires usually end up in Purple or in Lots of Gold or Lots of Red! Its makes it easier for the punters to realise that this person everyone is bowing to is the queen!

Some faires also put a modern bridal tiara on the Queen to doubly make it clear she is the queen. Thankfully this was not the case with this Queen who actually had a nice head dress. The gown she wore on the Sunday was actually much nicer than the one in these photo.

These are Edmund's pictures of the "Great British Invasion". We met up with a lot of American costumers who I correspond with who are all very very good!
http://pics.livejournal.com/edmndclotwo ... y/0001ays4
This goes on for 3 pages.

And these pictures are from one of the Live Journal costumer's we met out there:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v259/ ... Bristol06/

Hope you like them!

Hugs

Bess.

www.myladyswardrobe.com

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:39 pm

Myladyswardrobe said:

Medickitten replied:

We are thinking of going out end of July about a week or so after Kentwell finishes. We need to work out dates but can certainly tell you when they are fixed.

We'd LOVE to have you come along with us!! That would be great! It is a very nice faire - just don't expect anything authentic!

hugs

Bess.

www.myladyswardrobe.com

MedicKitten

Postby MedicKitten » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:46 pm

ooooh...LOVE the brocade on the venetian gowns! VERY spiffy!
Unfortunately, must get all NECESSARY costuming out of the way before I start drooling over fabric. Parents have stated that the Stash of fabric must remain UNDER three boxes worth at any given time. I suppose this is reasonable...but if I see a REALLY nice piece, I'll just have to put it under my bed.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Only one word to describe your Venetian gown - Sumptuous :D

Oh, and absoloutely gorgeous, dazzling, and very la-di-da! :D

Looks like lots of fun to wear too!

Lidi :D

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:16 am

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:41 am

Oh, dear!! Its bad!! Its very bad! :(

www.myladyswardrobe.com

MedicKitten

Postby MedicKitten » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:44 pm

Bad doesnt even BEGIN to cover it. You know how there was posted a still from Elizabeth: The Golden Years and the inappropriate reuse by Anne Boleyn? Well they used Elizabeth's little sparkly hat thingie on Catherine of Aragon...but without the hairdo, so its smashed down onto her forehead. Absolutely WRONG.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:56 pm

And why are they wearing ruffs? :?

There is just so much :(

Return to “Costumes”