Dye kits, a question

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteWolf

Dye kits, a question

Post by WhiteWolf »

Now I may have been halucinating but have I seen posts about someone making and selling natural dye kits.

I'm not sure, if it was on the old site - but I've been unable to find it. :roll:

HELP

WW 8)

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

There was someone doing sample sets, so you could compare a natural dyed swatch of wool to any fabric you were buying. Is that what you were thinking of?

What were you after? I may have some dyes kicking around, though there will also be at least a couple of people at teh fair selling dyestuffs I'm sure

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

messege coming from the Boss :wink:

Lady Phoenix

Post by Lady Phoenix »

Hi Sally,

What I really wanted to do was to learn a bit more about natural dyes, so I could have a go at dyeing some linen for our own costumes (just for lining material mostly), instead of relying on the ready-dyed stuff. But I like the idea of natural swatches, so I'll look out for that at the fairs.

So I don't think I need a kit per se, just some hints and a starting point :D

Thanks

Nix
"If you can see what the plate is made of, the portions are too small" Mrs G.Ogg

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

You've got my super basic guide to woad, weld and madder in the felting booklet I think? Otherwise collar me at the fair and I'll talk dye with you. Its a lot of fun and doesnt have to be traumatic, its more picking eth right dye and the fight fibre for the right period, then being brave and it usually all turns out fine

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

Oh yeah- linen on the whole doesnt take dye fantastically well (there are some exceptions but usually everything comes out paler on linen), so for lining you are almost as well to stick to the natural linen colour. I have met people with a knack for dyeing linen, who manage to get colours everyone else only get on wool, but as a rough rule of thumb, save the natural dyeing for wool, its a bit easier to handle when you are starting out :D

Lady Phoenix

Post by Lady Phoenix »

Cheers me dear, I'll have a lookey in the booklet and if I decide to have a try I'll let you know how I get on :)

Nix
"If you can see what the plate is made of, the portions are too small" Mrs G.Ogg

Kate Tiler
Post Centurion

Post by Kate Tiler »

Hi WW, Hi Lady P :)

the dye kits are made & sold by Phoebe - Tinctoria. She will be at the NHLF in just over a week - she's recently created some extra colours to add to the original kit, which has some beautiful colours in!

I found them very useful because I do feltmaking with commercially dyed fleece from a company in Yorkshire, they have over a hundred different colours to choose from & when I'm in front of them I can never remember which colours are the most 'authentic' to go for - so I take Phoebe's dye packs up with me & choose colours to match the woad, madder, weld etc plus the overdyes. I spend well over a few hundred pounds a year buying fleece for felting, so it was a very good investment for me, plus I was able to buy my wool fabric in February and match the blue & green really well, instead of buying fabric, getting it home & realising I wasn't happy with it!

Totally biased opinion too as she's my best friend :)
http://www.katetiler.co.uk
http://www.companyofartisans.co.uk
"In art as in life everything is possible as long as it is based on love" Marc Chagall

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

Cheers Kate

I knew someone did them, but just couldn't remember who.

We are going to the fayre so we'll keep a look out for her.

Cheers again

WW 8)

fishwife

Post by fishwife »

Hi,
I hope you will excuse a trader from TORM putting a message up here, but I noticed this subject - which it's one close to my heart! I have been dyeing linens for several years and think they get a very bad press, I have no problem in dyeing them, if you would like to come and see me to discuss how to do so I will be more than happy to go through it with you, I think most people who know me will agree that I am very approachable and will chat for hours ........and I have been producing dye kits for years! (not swatches, which I gave up on cos no one wanted them but complete kits with dyes mordants and instructions!!!!) Please feel free to get in touch

Best wishes

Debbie (The Mulberry Dyer)
Trust but in whom take care!

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

I'll vouch for how great Debbies dyed stuffs are. I can dye 'some' colours fine on linen, but I do find they are typically paler than wool, hence my broad agreement with the general belief that its harder to dye linen than wool, and particularly for beginners it can be a slightly tricky area. But yes, definately go and talk to the Mulberry Dyer, you will learn lots

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi Debbie

We'll be attending TORM Saturday AM (cos we're watching Sally's stall whilst she struts her stuff :shock: ) So how do we find you?

I'm easy to spot, large bald dude in a utilikilt :shock:

We shall come and chat.

WW 8)

fishwife

Post by fishwife »

HI Whiteworlf,

I'll look forward to meeting you - not sure exactly where I'll be, but in the main hall (not the one with the cricket nets!) just look for the logo of the mulberry leaf and John or I should be somewhere nearby!(The other give- away is a load of squirrels that are taking over the stall........but that's another story!)
See you Saturday,
Deb

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi Deb

See you then and you can tell us about the squirrels :shock: :shock:

WW 8)
Andy

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Debbie is an evil woman who has too much interesting stuff to buy

And its too easy to smugglr intot he house

Humour aside she is dead good and a top person
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Debbie is an evil woman who has too much interesting stuff to buy

And its too easy to smugglr intot he house

And for that very reason I think she's wonderful!!!

Plus, she manages to stay polite to the silly stuff from the public (far more than me, it has to be said).

Debs
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Uncle Bulgaria

Post by Uncle Bulgaria »

White Wolf, you must remember to ask Debs to do her french squirrel impression (very amusing) and worth visiting the stall just for that really! :lol: :lol:

fishwife

Post by fishwife »

Nigel, Sally, and Debs, many thanks for the kind words ..........hope you get to say hello over the weekend (little brown envelopes will be waiting!!!!!!!) Uncle Bulgaria you been looking for Ecureuil's again?
The game for this winter has been handpainting the linens with natural dyes do come and see some of the results!

TTFn,
Deb