Medieval Wedding

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

kathryn Allwood

Medieval Wedding

Post by kathryn Allwood »

Is there anybody out there that can help me? My husband and I want a medieval wedding and need some advice on flowers and the banquet food from the 15th.C. so that we can have it as authentic as possible. :?: :lol:

Carl / Sir Geoffrey

Post by Carl / Sir Geoffrey »

Hi Katherine,
You might get more responses if you post this to the friends and gossip thread.

Regards

Carl
Carl Sprake
Sir Geoffrey of Woodstock
CarlSprake.co.uk
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

You might want to have a look at the booklets on medieval food by Gareth the Baker, he also does a Banquet-in-a-box service, but you may be a bit too far away to take advantage of that. However, his recipes might give you some ideas, he's done loads of banquets over the years. You can find them on the books page at www.sallypointer.com

kathryn Allwood

thanks for you suggestions and sally thanks for the web site details i will have a look.

kathryn Allwood

Hi Sally does Gareth make goblets?Also to your knowledge was there any bathing rituals for brides to follow

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

He does make goblets indeed, have a look at this one that he made me, though these days it has a silver foot. He also does wood and silver ones
http://www.geocities.com/crafts_for_the ... gazinghare

Medieval wedding rituals were a bit less documented today, and I don't recall coming across any specific bathing variants, but I'm sure a good hot bath with lote of herbs came into it. I di have a bawdy story from a few centuries later about how to restore a certain 'lost youthfulness' :shock: with a particular herbal bath before a wedding, but its rather later than medieval!

kathryn Allwood

thank sally i am looking to have to silver goblets made for my husband and i for the wedding so i will email you on your web site

Drachelis

Post by Drachelis »

Something you might like is a torch ceremony.

The couple were lit to bed with much bawdy comment.

Often the bride went first with her laidies who undressed her and maybe bathed her and dressd her in her finest nightie to await the groom who followed with his mates and much ribaldry. He was then put to bed and left to do what comes naturally ( sometimes just the cirtains were closed). In the morning the sheets would be hung from the window ( they would be blood stained if she was a virgin) to prove her virginity and the consumation of the marriage.

I have conducted a reconstructed torch ceremony - with two colums of guests with tapers lighting the way with lots of adive given as the couple pased along - but we did let them go off in peace ( to their private tent rather than the one everyone thought they were using and had tampered with.

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs