Post by antonia »

I need to make a 12thC wimple and veil - can you help with ideas
antonia mcgloin

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

try this site:

http://pages.videotron.com/cadieux3/

lots of sources, i dont know if it will have exactly what you are looking for, but even if not there is plenty in there which i am sure you will find interesting :D

lidi :)
'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

DeviantShrub

Post by DeviantShrub »

antonia, which end of the 12thC century are you looking at, as fashions did change over the course of 100 years? I'm quite sure that Tuppence will be here very shortly to give you the detailed run-down. :mrgreen:

The most basic head-covering was in use for several centuries. It took the form of a rectangular piece of linen (as much as 18 x 48 inches) which you would drape over the head and then wrap the tail about the neck and tuck it in to hide all hints of flesh.

An alternative for the middling years of the century would be to pin a circular veil to a linen band worn underneath and leave it open at the front to reveal the neck and the top of the dress.

There are a couple of pictures worth a look at one this page.

Later on, towards the turn of the century, the proper wimple came into vogue. To achieve this look, you'll need a rectangle of fabric wrapped under the chin and pinned to the top of the head (you can tuck the bottom edge tucked into your dress neckline). Then a veil (cicular or semi-circular?) would be worn over the top, pinned to a linen band as before. You can see how that ensemble would look all together in this photo. The other option, is to wear a barbette (worn with a veil in the 12thC). This picture of Eleanor of Quitaine's tomb is a great example of that look:

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

You know I can't resist questions like this!!

Pretty much what devshrib says is right. Though I'd suggest using a separate band with ties for any veil, with the veil pinned securely down, purely for practicality's sake. There's little evidence for it during the earlier periods, but there's little evidence of anything holding veils down (apart from metal circlets, but that's only for the very top levels of society). It's almost certain (as certain as anything like this can be :wink: ) that the old re-enactment standby of a bit of braid tied around your head, over the top of the veil, is wrong.

Personal experience of big bits of cloth on windy days says thay mus have used something!

That said there is evidence that working women may have tied their veils up round their heads to keep them out of the way (a couple of pictures, and a couple of paragraphs from the clergy ranting about indecency).

But essentially you have two choices - earlier ones are in one piece - scarf type things, which you put on your head with a longer end and a shorter end, then use the longer end to cover your front, by throwing it over your shoulder. Later on it starts to get towards the circular version (though at this point it may have been semi circular), with a separate wimple (the throat bit). The simplest way of making that is to make a rectangle - the top two corners can be pinned to the veil band, or (via ties) tied over your head, and the bottom two (again via ties), tied behind your neck.

If the separate wimple kind, then steer clear of the pleated versions seen in some contemporary illos, as dress historians are somewhat divided over the significance of this - it has been suggested it may have been a mark of a widow, among other things.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

DeviantShrub

Post by DeviantShrub »

Tuppence wrote:You know I can't resist questions like this!!
It did have your name written all over it. ;)

I totally second your recommendation of pinning one's head covering to a band, tied round the head underneath. There's little more annoying when you're trying to do things than having to keep readjusting your head gear as you find that yet another lock of hair has slipped into your eyes!

Ellen Gethin

Post by Ellen Gethin »

When I wear a wimple, I use the piece under the chin, followed by linen band around the forehead, with the veil on top style. I can do it in true nun style, with three pins and without a mirror!

I actually talked to a nun who still wore the traditional habit to find out how to do it - that order later changed their style to having a close-fitting cap with an attatched band around the front - you pinned the veil on top of the cap and under the band so you had a white stripe over a black veil.

So my advice is - make friends with a nun!
"Take wrong turns, talk to strangers, open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing."
JimmyB27, absolutewrite