Costume sources for 7-10th Century Anglo-Saxon

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

ScaryJ

Costume sources for 7-10th Century Anglo-Saxon

Postby ScaryJ » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:04 pm

Hi!

While there seems to be plenty of info in Viking dress, I am wanting to revise some of my anglo-saxons women's stuff since there is a tendency to be on the short side, and I also want to see what I can do to embellish it.
However, I want to be as authentic as possible so I am reluctant to process unless I know its documented.

If anyone knows of good references for 7th-10th century women's clothes, especially trims and embellishments and headwear, I would be most grateful.
Thanks!

"There are only 2 things that are infinite; the Universe and human stupidity and I am not sure about the Universe" - Einstein.

calicocloth

Postby calicocloth » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:17 am

The recently published book 'Dress in Anglo-Saxon England' by Gale R.Owen-Crocker is the best source I have come accross so far. Published in 2004 by The Boyden Press, ISBN 1 84383 081 7

Nigonwyrtas

Postby Nigonwyrtas » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:23 am

For trims and embellishments, there's very likely something in Peter Collingwood's 'The Techniques of Tablet Weaving'... I know I've woven an Anglo Saxon braid from that book, at some point. :D

Ellen Gethin

Postby Ellen Gethin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:07 pm

Women in Anglo-Saxon England has some good illustrations from manuscripts, but I've lent my copy out, and I can't remember the author's name. (Christina something?)

"Take wrong turns, talk to strangers, open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing."
JimmyB27, absolutewrite

calicocloth

Postby calicocloth » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:54 pm

Peter Collingwood's book (which is otherwise pretty expensive) is available on eBay in the States at the moment - it finishes tomorrow (31st October):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :DBS:US:11

Return to “Costumes”