Childrens victorian costume

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Graham Cooley

Childrens victorian costume

Post by Graham Cooley »

Hi

My daughter's school is doing a Victorian (1880s) event next month and they want all the kiddies to go in costume. They have given us parents some ideas but we wondered if there were any sites that we might be able to get patterns etc. from.

Many thanks

Graham

The YE Olde Costume Maker

Post by The YE Olde Costume Maker »

I have got most of my children patterns of ebay, there is quitr a few on there or try simplicity site, there not totally authentic but if you know what your doing then you can change it quite simply, what type of pattern are you looking 4.have a look at my site i have a dress on there for a child,for ideas.
Donna

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

you could also check out the costumers manifesto at
it's a listings site that has links to all sort of other costumey sites, from those dealing with research only, to places that sell materials and supplies (including patterns).

amd not sure what they have for kids, but you could also try simplicity for patterns.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

Dear Graham, where do you live? Do you want someone to make a costume or are you just looking for the bits and pieces to make one. Also consider what class of society your child wants to be - dustman, chimney sweep etc or posh. There is lots of scope for imagination in the 1880's.

calicocloth

Children's Victorian dresses

Post by calicocloth »

I make and hire children's Victorian (and Roman, Tudor etc.) outfits for school history days. I can send you instructions for making the pinafore (my dress patterns are too complicated and I only keep the single working copy). The pinafore is a common Victorian style and is based on one in Colchester Hollytrees museum with further instructions on sizes from Agnes Walker's 1898 book. It is quite simple to make. As for a dress pattern, the Folkwear 'FW#213 Child's Prairie Dress & Pinafore Girls 2-10' is good.

Graham Cooley

Post by Graham Cooley »

Dear All
Thanks for all the ideas and help. Sarah, my wife, is making a start on getting stuff together.
"calicocloth" May I pm you with my phone number so you and Sarah can chat? Assistance with a pinafore pattern sounds great. We are just looking at kitting Eleanor out as a typical school child of the era (petticoat and pinafore). I will, though, get Sarah to look at the priarie dress pattern too.

Regards

Graham

calicocloth

Post by calicocloth »

Please do Graham - you'll find my contact details on my web site too: www.orchardhouselincoln.co.uk