"Victorian" dress pattern

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Calendula

"Victorian" dress pattern

Post by Calendula »

I'd like to have a bash at making a mid to late nineteenth century dress for a "Victorian Christmas" event in December. Does anyone know of a reliable/accurate ready-made pattern? I've got Norah Waugh etc etc but I'm not going to have time to do the whole drafting and tinkering thing. Are the Simplicity patterns any good from an authenticity point of view? This isn't my era so I'd appreciate advice....

Evil Black Alice

Re: "Victorian" dress pattern

Post by Evil Black Alice »

Calendula wrote:I'd like to have a bash at making a mid to late nineteenth century dress for a "Victorian Christmas" event in December. Does anyone know of a reliable/accurate ready-made pattern? I've got Norah Waugh etc etc but I'm not going to have time to do the whole drafting and tinkering thing. Are the Simplicity patterns any good from an authenticity point of view? This isn't my era so I'd appreciate advice....
Hi, Try the Truly Victorian patterns, they are great and very authentic!

http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/
color bruno, labbri grossi e capegli crespi

Calendula

Post by Calendula »

Ta!

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

if you are looking for corsets as well...

try www.laracorsets.com :) i dont know how authentic they are :oops: but they look pretty impressive :D
'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Calendula

Post by Calendula »

Blimey! :)

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

There are a lot of corset makers in England - if you are buying from America, you have to pay import duty on goods, which can work out expensive.

Try to find a copy of "The Garter" which will list costume makers in your aarea. Or try making one yourself. There are lots of patterns out there, although I would recommend avoiding the "Big Three"pattern companies - Simplicity etc. I think Truly Victorian sell corset patterns as well, although I use the patterns from "Corsets and Crinolines", by Norah Waugh, or "Period Costumes for Stage and Screen 1800-1909" by Jean Hunnisett. Both of these have grid patterns taken from original garments. (The Hunnisett one is sized to fit a modern body, more or less, the Waugh has no such modification.)

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

oh yeh, i didnt think of that... i guess british ones would be cheaper. and you dont have the hassle of working dollars into pounds :P
'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Evil Black Alice

Post by Evil Black Alice »

Laughing moon corset patterns are brilliant, I used them for my very first corset and will I had no trouble even as a novice.

http://www.lafnmoon.com/
color bruno, labbri grossi e capegli crespi

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

ditto, I really enjoyed making the Laughing Moon pattern, and it was easy to adjust to a particular body dahpe too. One of the most successful corsets I've made without a doubt

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Address for the Garter

http://www.createthemood.uklinux.net/Garter.htm

(Sorry, computer died before I could add this.)

Heard good and bad from Laughing Moon. (But then I don't buy paper patterns so what do I know!)