Crimes against Authenticity

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:46 am

Shrops recently had a Very Jairman haircut for an event, which looked splendid, then there's Louise who plays the best DickIII I've seen, pudding-bowl-bob and all.

John, welcome to things that just don't get talked about any more...step away from the discussion... :D My blood pressure can't cope with a reprise!

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

John Tiptoft

Postby John Tiptoft » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:50 pm

[stepping away briskly...]
I just need to polish my hairstyle, unfortunately. It raises the question though, how can I organise a pudding bowl haircut with nothing to go in the bow!! I seem to have managed the Norman "fringe over the top of the head" look OK, though.

aXe

Strike three times, for the Trinity

Dianne

Postby Dianne » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:18 am

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEDIEVAL-RE-ENACT ... dZViewItem

Now this is what I call MEDIEVAL (!) Would go lovely with a pudding bowl haircut. :shock:

~ Mea Culpa ~

Be careful of what you wish for - it might come true !

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:47 am

I know the lady with the trainers hanging off her belt and, as she has kids, I suspect they belong to one of them as I know the lady has proper shoes for the period, honest!

My mind not only wanders - sometimes it leaves completely!

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:31 am

(grin), I was going to stick up for her, too. Knowing the kids in question, it's a case of stow the trainers somewhere safe on mum, or lose them.
Her kit, and to be honest, when the kids are in kit theirs too, is usually very good. It's a case of when they're little, they'll wear kit all day. As they grow up and get stronger opinions...

A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:57 am

Mmm! Anyone tried to force a 12 year old going-on-20, who is as tall as me and built like a brick outhouse to match, into mediaeval kit when he doesn't want to? Come to think of it, anyone got any hints or tips to try and get 12 year olds into kit without resorting to monetary bribery?!

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:02 pm

Gail:
Tell them they aren't allowed to wear kit any more, they have to stay in civvies. :)

Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:08 pm

Gail Horn wrote:Mmm! Anyone tried to force a 12 year old going-on-20, who is as tall as me and built like a brick outhouse to match, into mediaeval kit when he doesn't want to? Come to think of it, anyone got any hints or tips to try and get 12 year olds into kit without resorting to monetary bribery?!

About the only thing I can suggest, being a single man with no children, is that you first get them to hero worship or identify with either a character from history in the requisite period, or some big re-enactor who is larger than they are and does fighting as well. Then involve them in choosing a colour scheme etc, so they can at least resemble said hero, who after all wears authentic kit.

Failing that, try and make sure they fall in with a pack of teenagers who like wearing kit, and peer pressure will do the rest.

Quayn

Postby Quayn » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:11 pm

guthrie wrote:
Gail Horn wrote:Mmm! Anyone tried to force a 12 year old going-on-20, who is as tall as me and built like a brick outhouse to match, into mediaeval kit when he doesn't want to? Come to think of it, anyone got any hints or tips to try and get 12 year olds into kit without resorting to monetary bribery?!

About the only thing I can suggest, being a single man with no children, is that you first get them to hero worship or identify with either a character from history in the requisite period, or some big re-enactor who is larger than they are and does fighting as well. Then involve them in choosing a colour scheme etc, so they can at least resemble said hero, who after all wears authentic kit.

Failing that, try and make sure they fall in with a pack of teenagers who like wearing kit, and peer pressure will do the rest.

Both good ideas, I'm mean though and would suggest getting some other people in kit to make fun of them out of kit. negative peer preasure (new politically correct name for bullying) works wonders.

Q.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:07 pm

I've just been informed by a friend who is a grandmother and likes children that if your teenager isnt rebelling against something your doing, like re-enacting, theres something wrong.
So maybe you shoudl just lock him in the shed when you go away for the weekend, or leave him at his grandparents/ friends house.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:38 am

Our group had one of those last year. This year he is into vanity and wants to choose kit. Yours will grow through it. Get him mixing socially with the blokes. If he stays away from them saying they won't want me, ask him how can he find out if they do or don't want him if he doesn't mix with them. Get a couple of your adult male mates briefed so that they give him a couple of jobs/ include him in general conversation.

It's more about the twilight world of being a boy 'tweenie' than about kit. There is a world of difference between a just turned 12 and a nearly 13 12 too. When teh blokes have joshed him gently a couple of times about being assessed favourably in kit by girl MOPS his attitude will change a lot.

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:20 am

Ye Gods! I hope his attitude changes pronto, then! As I've said, he's as tall as me now and there's only 3 months until he officially turns into Kevin-the-teenager-from-Hell so life will be fun! Mind you, he's been practising for a good few years now... :?

Trouble with our group is that he's the oldest of the kids; his cousin and younger brother are next at 8 years old, which isn't much fun for him. Caroline's oldest, Ben, comes along sometime, but that's about it, so he's on his own quite a lot of the time. We need more tweenagers, really.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:34 pm

We've got an eleventeen year old boy who we're revving up on the sidelines, should be around more next season. Is currently happy to wear a mish-mash of my old 'bloke' kit and a straw hat, has sights set on Cloaks! In Black! and Weapons!.

This winter I will mostly be teaching Aron The Happy Goth to sew his own kit. Wish me luck. Oh, and his re-enactment name is decided already. He's Rincewind.

A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:44 pm

Oh My G-D.

I wish you a hearty Mazel Tov with that one Cat.

On experience don't let his start with his hose. A friend did this with to say the least dodgy sewing skills and the results were to say the least interesting.

Sophia :lol:

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:35 pm

you people seriously terrify me.... i am going to be so nervous the first time i take it out into public!! i will give you a brief run down of what it looks like... please do tell me if there is anything wrong with it!!

Tudor, around 1530's style. Dusky pink satin, square neckline that leaves the top of my shift showing; the shift being blackworked and made from an old white sheet. bodice attached to skirts, which open at the front to reveal an under skirt of white/cream satin with blackworked hem. slleves are tight around upper arm, but below that i havn't decided yet...

as for head gear, homemade french hood which i assure you looks better than it sounds (all the ones i looked at on the internet were truly appalling) it is made from the same pink satin, with a black veil which encloses the ears. and i wear my hair with a center parting, NO fringe.

trepidation fills me..... but what do you think?

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:46 am

Sounds ver' nice to me - excepting the being a feelthy Tyoodah ....... :mrgreen:.... you need to speak to Doris the Huckster (actually-k-a Annie the Pedlar). She is a prime feelthy Tyoodah.

At the end of the day it is just clothes suitable to a particular function. The nerves literally arise from a situation rather like being the first in your set to go out in absolutley the latest fashion, you will be proud and self-conscious.

Then see where it could be better. You may or may not make adjustments.

Then think, 'but I have a life and these ARE really rather good and interpret the spirit of the fashion rather well and 'they' are just jealous.

And then these are just my clothes, as you think start drooling after the next ensemble you want.........

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:41 pm

thankyou :D supportive comments are very important as this is my first go and i dont want to be caught on your evil cameras :D

i feel the need to comment - this is only my second day of being a user on this site... but there is definite (though friendly) animosity between 'Tyoodahs' and midieval people :D

have got in touch with annie :) waiting for a reply.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:22 pm

No dearie, it is just that those sainted Plantagenets accidentally kicked their kingdom over the Tyoodah's garden fence and the grumpy, ginger sods won't give it back.

The clue to this thread is those ebay (et al) offerings that claim to be medivil, Tudor, colonial and Victorian all at once. Ignoring not only the differences in period, but worlds apart in construction, fabric, methods and meanings of wear.......some are very dolly to look at and you would want to wear them when fancy-dressing as a pre-ddy prin-cess. Some are just 'not'.

It originated a long time ago and on a forum far-far away with my threat to reveal an outfit I once constructed in which only the hat lining was made of a natural fabric. Closely followed by attempts to locate pictures of a credible competitor.......

Evil Black Alice

Postby Evil Black Alice » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:31 pm

Alice the Huswyf wrote:The clue to this thread is those ebay (et al) offerings that claim to be medivil, Tudor, colonial and Victorian all at once. Ignoring not only the differences in period, but worlds apart in construction, fabric, methods and meanings of wear.......some are very dolly to look at and you would want to wear them when fancy-dressing as a pre-ddy prin-cess. Some are just 'not'.

I think I know that woman, it is all velet hippie skirts isn't it? And she posts ONLY in the vintage section, yet nothing she sells is either reproduction or indeed older than a few days!!!! grrrrr :evil:

color bruno, labbri grossi e capegli crespi

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:42 pm

....no, but a candidate perhaps. My particular gripe was one of a series of overdyed 1970's nylon edwardian-style wedding dresses described as such - plus 'goth'.

My other gripe is the word 'corset dress' for a dress fitted by drawstrings to save on actually fitting the garment properley. Nor is stiffening involved even if the term had ever existed before today.

I also dislike people using the word 'crutch' to describe the meeting of seams in trousers.

And S.T. products advertised on television.

And Marmite.

Evil Black Alice

Postby Evil Black Alice » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:06 pm

Alice the Huswyf wrote:....no, but a candidate perhaps. My particular gripe was one of a series of overdyed 1970's nylon edwardian-style wedding dresses described as such - plus 'goth'.

My other gripe is the word 'corset dress' for a dress fitted by drawstrings to save on actually fitting the garment properley. Nor is stiffening involved even if the term had ever existed before today.

I also dislike people using the word 'crutch' to describe the meeting of seams in trousers.

And S.T. products advertised on television.

And Marmite.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't like Marmite??? :shock:

Ha! You should try being into 40-50s vintage and have to trawl through pages of 80's clothing labelled 'SO SJP/Gwen'

Blurgh!!!! :evil:

color bruno, labbri grossi e capegli crespi

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:08 pm

how did i know that it was going to go back to the plantagenets? lol :D
for me, the key question is more - howard or seymour? :S

me, howard :)

as for ebay, i wouldnt touch the stuff on there unless i knew the stockist well, or was able to sample the product. also, i find that it is ever so much more satisfying to watch your own garment grow before your eyes... to get little dark brown stains on the seams where you accidently pricked your finger with the needle.... etc etc. :)

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:45 pm

JC .......... thanks.........now I know who to run from :lol:
Is that an authentic road pin holding up your perimeter rope :twisted:
(ref photo)

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:33 am

OH EBA - I think you found the other, other thing I hate - possibly as nuch as Marmite.

Marketing run mad - we can't have anything today without a celebrity tie-in to validate our choices. I wore vintage in the '80's. They were easy to tell apart. And cheap. No Gwyn and J-Lo and Sienna to hang mislabels on them - people actually had to exercise their personal preferences.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:02 pm

you forgot kate - kate always goes with sienna.

and dita- you forgot 'so dita...' too.

Ha! You should try being into 40-50s vintage and have to trawl through pages of 80's clothing labelled 'SO SJP/Gwen'

oh I so know that feeling....

vintage means it's old not second hand...

there are all those people from china / hong kong who put brand new stuff in the vintage sections too. (though at least you can weed them out by doing uk only searches...)

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:20 pm

I don't do 'so Dita' . I find myself somewhat unsupported and cold in three rhinestones and a kong-size champagne glass.

Mrs Tuppence - you speak! I har bin tryin' to get yooo - have a jack for you.

Hastings delivery through Joe - dropping it off to him Saturday, well wrapped and sealed - possibly hessianed, too.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:25 pm

i am going to be so nervous the first time i take it out into public!!

Out of context, this could get you into all sorts of trouble!!!! :shock: :D :D

Return to “Costumes”