Crimes against Authenticity

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Quayn

Postby Quayn » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:25 pm

Quayn wrote:
John Tiptoft wrote:What I'd like to ask is what's with all them ponytails on blokes?

mine's inauthentic but if i have to have a hair cut I may just wear it all in my hat. That said, I'd hate to think what else I'd have to do in order to meet those sort of standards. I like my hair where it is.

I tie it back with leather thong as to avoid any obvious authenty probs though.

Q.

John Tiptoft

Postby John Tiptoft » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:56 pm

Didn't mean to offend, Q, hope you didn't take it that way! What I was getting at was that they make very nice handles for grabbing that noble lord by when we are all "in the press", and as such very obviously dubious! Hiding it all under an arming cap or similar is, of course, very practical, and most likely what would have happened.

It obviously depends on the period as to how "authentic" modern hairstyles can look. One would have to be very dedicated (to the extent of obssessive I'd think!) to have the front shaven style of a Norman noble, or the basin shave of an Agincourt knight!

Perhaps I'm just jealous, my hairstyle resembles a very new and shiny helm - you can see your face in my baldy-head!

Strike three times, for the Trinity

Quayn

Postby Quayn » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:18 pm

None taken whatsoever, re-read my post but add tone of voice of that semi laugh sort. I'd cut my hair authentically but due to reasons I won't list. my hair is... liked by a few people I am very close to occasionally...

Anywho, it's a good point, much like the earing thing for our period, seems to crop up far more oftenthan the wristwatch.

Q.

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:29 pm

Are we suggesting that long hair is inauthentic or just tying it back? The image below is not secialy selected, it is genuinely the last image contemporanious with tewkesbury that I looked at - I posted it on the thread about drums the other day.

More often than not in pictures of soldiers etc no hair can be seen at all but I woudn't take is as proven that the hair you cannot see was of any particular cut?

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:41 pm

chances are it'd only be the posh fashionista types who'd have tried to stick to the latest cut.

grunts probably had whatever they felt like, and cut it as often as they could be bothered....

thgouh that said, there is a nice pic of semi naked well diggers from slightly earlier, and they seem to have short (head) hair. (obv not soldiers - lower class).

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:11 pm

In the Immortal words of catherine tates granny " What a load of old sh**"

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

John Tiptoft

Postby John Tiptoft » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:20 pm

Q - someone close likes your hair long? you lucky, lucky b*st'd, as Monty P would have it!
Dave B - that pic looks forayn, with the tube-horned bull banner. where's it from? Like Tuppence says, they're all fully armoured and look flush, so they must have a few quid spare for fashionable hairdressers and lice-combs!
Gyrth - to continue with the analogy, what a f*ckin liberty! Which bit is sh*t?

aXe

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:12 pm

[quote=" that pic looks forayn,[/quote]

It's swiss, about 1480.

Kurt's uncle Bob.

katiepoppycat

Postby katiepoppycat » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:52 am

did anyone catch the belgian resistance fighter water carrying on the yorkist side? WW2 green tin helmet with blegian flag stencilled on it, flouncy shirt worn offthe shoulder, long red skirt tucked into belt, moulin rouge frilly long knickers and army boots. She was doing a cracking job water carrying though. Unfortunately made my job harder as my archers kept spitting their water out when they saw her and i had to keep refilling them!

matlot

Postby matlot » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:41 am

i must admit i think everyone spotted the girls on the gate

Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum

Catapultam habeo. isi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

a savile a savile

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:34 pm

long hair crops up a fair bit, especially in German art, the archetype flowing blonde locks are very common.

The reenactment hair is not so much wether long or no but how it is styled, it would be quite nice to see some men with the right hair, fashionable types.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

mally ley

Postby mally ley » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:21 pm

For women, the hair thing that has me gritting my teeth is fringes . . . in fact, just thinking about it has brought to mind a discussion years ago with a woman (who has continued to get under my skin about many different things over the years - don't even know her name, but whenever I hear her talking either to newbies or MOP it's always wrong... :evil: )
<sigh> anyway, nice gentle suggestion that a crosscut headband would hold back her fringe (having watched her carefully pull her fringe out from under her coif, and arrange her hair while looking in a mirror) was met with "but I don't like my face that way", I then spotted the masscara ...
I had to walk away, muttering that she wouldn't be near a mirror all day, only the rest of us would have to see it ...

need to lie down now

Tamsin Lewis

Postby Tamsin Lewis » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:03 pm

It's the people who insist on being posh, but aren't willing to wear sleeves if it's hot that annoy me

Lucy Cassidy

Postby Lucy Cassidy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:50 pm

I've just gone back through the photos again (felt the need for a giggle) and I just love the comments. Please add more!! Particularly liked the one where someone who knew the perpetrators jumped in to defend them.

Heraldis, I think you should definitely do this every year, and maybe over time people will learn what not to do... as Sally said, the comments are really helpful for those of us who might not appreciate what sin is being committed.

"Cut once, but measure thrice"

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:54 pm

gregory23b wrote:long hair crops up a fair bit, especially in German art, the archetype flowing blonde locks are very common.

The reenactment hair is not so much wether long or no but how it is styled, it would be quite nice to see some men with the right hair, fashionable types.

I'll have to be a German immegrant in future. I'm pretty sure that 'shoulder length and slightly unkempt' would have been a common style amongst english soliery as well just becuase it is convenient?

Kurt's uncle Bob.

William

Postby William » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:19 pm

Dave B wrote:I'm pretty sure that 'shoulder length and slightly unkempt' would have been a common style amongst english soliery as well just becuase it is convenient?

Not as convenient as keeping hair short, surely (in terms of maintenance, keeping free from lice etc)? Englishmen also kept shaved (I would say 'clean shaven' but I doubt it was necessarily that regular!).

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:00 pm

Dave,

I owuld agree with William, yeah unkempt long hair gets more unmanageable, but if you want unkempt hair that might ie in with a general unkemptness, me I manage the latter with great ease and I have short hair. I would love to have decent 15thC hair but not want to look like Emo Phillips or some dodgy 1970s folk rocker with long hair and eyebrow level fringe.

Apart from that the Swiss and German pics show quite pretty men in nice hair and you would eb letting the side down, on top of that wouldn't it be nice to sit in a chair and have someone comb your hair for you?
:D

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Dianne

Postby Dianne » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:59 pm

Had a good snigger ........... but for every negative there has to be a positive so can we have some pics of 'good examples of kit' please?

~ Mea Culpa ~

Be careful of what you wish for - it might come true !

Dickie

Postby Dickie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:41 pm

Dave B wrote:Are we suggesting that long hair is inauthentic or just tying it back? The image below is not secialy selected, it is genuinely the last image contemporanious with tewkesbury that I looked at - I posted it on the thread about drums the other day.

It is interesting to note that the black bulls head on a yellow field is the symbol of one of teh aristocratic families of Cesky Krumlov in C15th Bohemia...just a passing observation...

The Hussite Sheridan
For Distinguished Ladies & Gentlemen, of a Bohemian disposition.

WILHELM STOLE MY PRINCE OF WALES!!!

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:16 pm

I think that one is ZUG

Nige

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

mattb

Postby mattb » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:37 pm

katiepoppycat wrote:did anyone catch the belgian resistance fighter water carrying on the yorkist side? WW2 green tin helmet with blegian flag stencilled on it, flouncy shirt worn offthe shoulder, long red skirt tucked into belt, moulin rouge frilly long knickers and army boots. She was doing a cracking job water carrying though. Unfortunately made my job harder as my archers kept spitting their water out when they saw her and i had to keep refilling them!

Think you mean AJ who was with the Fitzgeralds and Courteneyes, i did comment, but seeing as she was one of our water carriers i wasn't going to complain too much, she was more subtly attired at berkeley, well on the battlefield anyway.

Matt

The Admiral

Postby The Admiral » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:54 pm

mattb wrote:
katiepoppycat wrote:did anyone catch the belgian resistance fighter water carrying on the yorkist side? WW2 green tin helmet with blegian flag stencilled on it, flouncy shirt worn offthe shoulder, long red skirt tucked into belt, moulin rouge frilly long knickers and army boots. She was doing a cracking job water carrying though. Unfortunately made my job harder as my archers kept spitting their water out when they saw her and i had to keep refilling them!

Think you mean AJ who was with the Fitzgeralds and Courteneyes, i did comment, but seeing as she was one of our water carriers i wasn't going to complain too much, she was more subtly attired at berkeley, well on the battlefield anyway.

Matt

If you're referring to the AJ on these forums - it definitely wasn't her as she fights and dresses as an archer for the Fauconbergs. I don't think she actually owns a dress (her words not mine!!)

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

mattb

Postby mattb » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:17 pm

No another AJ , hence i specified a group, as i knew it wasn't the same one as on here.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:10 pm

The whole make-up on women thing bugs me. Does any(Sally)body know whether any make-up is 'thentic at all?

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

John Tiptoft

Postby John Tiptoft » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:41 pm

does anyone know if fighting ladies are authentic? Make-up or not?
aXe

sallysc343

Postby sallysc343 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:51 pm

John Tiptoft wrote:does anyone know if fighting ladies are authentic? Make-up or not?
aXe

before this turns into a virtual fist fight this topic was covered in the friends and gossip forum. You'll find it under "women on the battlefield". If you want to read the whole of that thread may I suggest you get yourself a film length supply of popcorn etc and for personal protection put some sort of armour on :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Sally :)

Quayn

Postby Quayn » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:09 pm

John Tiptoft wrote:does anyone know if fighting ladies are authentic? Make-up or not?
aXe

I'll start handing out the 20 foot poles for anyone thinking of touching this one.

Q.

John Tiptoft

Postby John Tiptoft » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:24 pm

I was only asking! Couldn't resist that one, just pointing out that authenticity is relative!

off to find some friends to gossip with. "wish me luck as you wave me goodbye, cheerio...."

aXe

John Tiptoft

Postby John Tiptoft » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:32 pm

OK, I can see what all the fuss was about now! Didn't read it all (no popcorn), but I get the gist! I wasn't saying the ladies can't fight, just that they wouldn't be there.

I'll leave it there now... she's behind me, isn't she?

aXe

Hecate

Postby Hecate » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:40 am

BOO! :twisted:

Sorry :wink:

Q- your hair looks fine, loving the new black and pink coat btw.

I knew someone from a group in L&M once (and I'm not saying who) who had a pudding bowl hair cut, just to try it out. worrying thing was it quite suited him!

Also knew someone that had a tonsure cut when playing a monk at one event and didn't shave his head afterwards for a while despite working full time!

Return to “Costumes”