Could it catch on?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Drachelis

Could it catch on?

Postby Drachelis » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:00 pm

Do you think that a doublet in mock oilcloth in yellow with big pink flowers might catch on? :shock:

Yes, you've guessed it - my cutting table is covered with this stuff to avoid snagging and whilst cutting out a doublet I cut the oilcloth as well - I thought the shears were making heavy weather of the fabric - ho hum where's duct tape.

Also a nice carpet wth footprints pattern in soft grey?

Tailor's chalk flew off the table and broke into litttle pieces - I thought I had picked them al up but no, as I discovered when I hear a crunch - so I stepped back to look - interesting tread pattern on the soles of my slippers.!!!

Hey! its one of those days

:roll:

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

who has three tape meaasures round her neck and is constantly searching for scissors and shears - which are either up when I am down or downstairs when I am up in the cutting room.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:11 pm

Cheryl,

My sympathies - am currently having a major cutting session. Luckily using polished wood table so no cloth to cut, but perenially chasing after the chalk, shears, etc.

Have decided to go for industrial production line - cut everything (2 unlined gowns for me, another flat fronted kirtle in linen, 1 short unlined gown for him, 1 doublet, 1 fine worsted petticoat for him, 3 shifts for me. 3 shirts for him). Then sew all the straight seams on sewing machine. :shock:

Then settle down to hand finishing which is portable. Unfortunately this includes some 100 eyelets, numerous buttonholes and several kilometres of hem and topstitching. :roll:

I can see myself still stitching when we get to Tewks as we have to leave early on Thursday morning as we are towing down all his nib's traffic management gear to help out on site.

Sophia :D

X

Postby X » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:22 pm

Am doing pretty much the same thing; 1640s men's coat tonight, ladies' linen shift tomorrow night. Handsewing in a hotel in London all Saturday afternoon. Flat fell seams are pleasantly mindless, particularly when one can listen to audiobooks at the same time.

Note to self: find bow tie; haven't seen it for ages. Locate starch and attend to shirt and trousers. Polish shoes.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:33 pm

I'll wear it for the right price!

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:33 pm

Don't mention flat-fell seams - you have just reminded me that they have to be done on at least his nib's short gown - can probably get away without on mine if I run out of time.

Sophia :shock:

Who also have to cook a massive picnic for Henley Royal Regatta on Saturday tomorrow plus sorting out posh frocks and hats to cover both Saturday and Sunday, checking over his nib's gear, etc. and contemplate packing all this to go to Father-in-Law's v.v. early on Saturday morning. :roll:

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:46 pm

Having had a very good Twinwood, I am replacing stock like crazy for Tewkes.

Since 8.30am I have cut out
1 brown heavy linen doublet
1 oatmeal heavy linen doublet
1 grey blue heavy linen doublet
1 deep green light wool doublet ( good for hot days)
1 terracotta lightweight wool doublet
1 terracotta light wool buttoned kirtle with tippets
1 terracotta sideless surcoat
1 deep green light wool houppelande
1 terracotta light wool houppelande

this evening I am finishing off fur trimming for an order and fur and velvet trimming a brown/bronze damask houppelande.

Tomorrow it is puffy sleeved short posey doublets in a moss and a gunmental brocady sort of fabric - Sand wool houppelande - grey wool houppelande and doublet - oh and another fur lined cloak. Then we start the sewing

Each doublet has 32 eyelets - houppelande belts have 8 eyelets - 15- 20 buttons and holes on the kirtle - houppelandes have trims of fur or fabric collar an cuffs. Not to mention the distance round a houppelande hem

Glutton for punishment

:shock:

Still I can eyelet when travelling (Ming does the driving) and we have a couple of long journeys next week.

We have a LifeRites training weekend here too - Diploma students for two days so that is cooking for them and giving lectures although not having a foundation course running this year I have only a couple to give. Ming will be on the eyelets and buttons then .

You may well hear snores coming from the stall at Tewkes cos it is going to be 18 hour days - so good to be able to have a break to chat on here.

By the way - I have just bitten the bullet and ordered some silk swatch books from companies - should have them by twekes.

Oh well bunny trim calling

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:54 pm

Cheryl,

Isn't it wonderful to have a driver - regrettably I can't see Peter C-H matching Ming on the finishing front.

Sympathies about having students to stay though no doubt it will be a very fulfilling weekend from the spiritual standpoint.

I will be losing all of Monday morning to getting my place to a point where I can let my mother in through the front door (she is staying Monday - Wednesday, dad joining her on Tuesday - though luckily she will be out most of the days).

Sophia :D

P.S. Gagging to get a look at the silk swatches when they arrive.

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:27 am

Sophia,

My house doesn't bear looking at - but the guest lecturers have become friends over the years and are happy to take us as they find us - the students have a tent pitch in our fields and we have a lecture room in one of the barns - when it isn't set up as a salle for Ming's WMA group.

Students are keen to see frocks as well - they might just see work in progress because everything else is packed in the van for next week.

The silk fabrics are to die for - all the embroidcered ones -------------yum!!!!!!

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:22 am

having been up all night sewing (again), I'm now going back to my uber marathon of cutting :shock:

at least I soon get to do some of the nice hainsworth's wool that arrived in a big box a few days ago..... :D

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:34 am

Isn't it wonderful to have a driver

What, doesn't everybody have front seat passenger sewing kit on the way to a muster? It's standard practice in our household!!

Lady Phoenix

Postby Lady Phoenix » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:57 am

m300572 wrote:
Isn't it wonderful to have a driver

What, doesn't everybody have front seat passenger sewing kit on the way to a muster? It's standard practice in our household!!

Nope, I'm the sewer AND the driver and I'd get into trouble if I tried to sew on the way to an event!

Cheryl, I think the oilcloth doublet sounds fab darling, maybe it would interest some LARPers??? Shame to let that cutting go to waste :? :D :wink: Add some fur to the cuffs and you'll be well away!!!!

Nix

"If you can see what the plate is made of, the portions are too small" Mrs G.Ogg

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:58 am

I'd get into trouble if I tried to sew on the way to an event!

The way a lot of people drive, you would probably get away with it!

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:22 pm

Niki wrote:
Cheryl, I think the oilcloth doublet sounds fab darling, maybe it would interest some LARPers??? Shame to let that cutting go to waste Confused Very Happy Wink Add some fur to the cuffs and you'll be well away!!!!

Pink fur would be great - or maybe trimmed with boa feathers - shame it isn't Andy's size - it would suit him :) ( only joking!! Andy)

Just finished the cutting marathon and now onto construction lots of piles of fabric matching sewing thread and trims now all over the cutting table - production line here we come.

Sounds like there may be snores from you stall as well Tuppence.

hey Deb how are you doing!!!!!

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

WhiteWolf

Postby WhiteWolf » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:43 pm

Drachelis wrote:Pink fur would be great - or maybe trimmed with boa feathers - shame it isn't Andy's size - it would suit him :) ( only joking!! Andy)

Shadowlight Designs

Oh bu@@er I was going to ask if it was for me :shock:

Never mind it will fit Dave :wink:

Andy :twisted:

Lady Phoenix

Postby Lady Phoenix » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:53 pm

WhiteWolf wrote:Oh bu@@er I was going to ask if it was for me :shock:

Never mind it will fit Dave :wink:

Damn it would have been just right for their handfasting :wink: :lol: :shock:

Nix

"If you can see what the plate is made of, the portions are too small" Mrs G.Ogg

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:14 pm

Never mind it will fit Dave Wink

'fraid not - its more a Ming size and he says the colour doesn't go with his complexion :roll:

Oh well back to the grind!
Cheryl
shadowlight Designs

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:33 pm

Have to admit can't really see Ming in flowery oilcloth with a pink feather trim :shock:

Have progressed to practically all of the outer layers of garments made up.

Will run linings next (all have same natural coloured linen so saves having to change thread).

As it looks as though HRR is off due to Landi crisis (see Tewks Panic thread in 1100-1500 for details) will probably do that tomorrow.

Hopefully that will just leave me with a huge amount of hand finishing and shifts and shirts to do.

Sophia :roll: :lol: , etc., etc.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:55 pm

Can you do me an oilcloth doublet - it absolutely pi$$ed down with rain at our HMS Caledonia show on Sunday - the flowers wouldn't matter as by the time we went on to do our second slot the audience was four damp matelots who had to be there, the commentator who had a nice canopy to hide under and the base Commanders Water Spaniel!

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:55 pm

Well - that will teach me to try a kit making marathon and spring cleaning all at once. Rolled up sitting room rug roughly and put to one side. Hoovered and tidied sitting room then slung rug in washing machine on first of two washes (very filthy)

Returned to dressmaking. Ran second rug wash. Cleaned bathroom.

Went to take rug out of machine and discovered that I had also washed my copy of The Garter. Of course it being a very efficient German number directory was thoroughly pulped and mashed into rug (thankfully not a tufted one). :roll:

Cleaned worst of gunk of and rinsed a couple of times - still pretty awful though think most of it will hoover off when dry. Well I suppose no one will want to nick it off the line now - looks more direputable than when it hit the washing machine.

Things going slightly better on dressmaking front - now have only one lining to put together then I'm into my hand finishing marathon. :D

Of course this doesn't include shirts and shifts which I tend to last as I have to admit to overlocking/french seaming depending on time and generally only do cuffs and necklines by hand. :wink:

Must get back to jobs - still have to get kitchen cleaned, go to a medical appointment and go shopping before my Mum arrives early evening.

Its a hard life - but hey Tewks is only 5 days away :D 8) :D 8)

Sophia

Return to “Costumes”