Free 1940s knitting patterns

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

Free 1940s knitting patterns

Post by sally »

The nice people at the V&A have a selection of original 1940s knitting patterns online, anyone for a nice cosy balaclava?
http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/fashio ... index.html

Kate Tiler
Post Centurion

Post by Kate Tiler »

Thanks Sally! I've copied this to the Kentwell group, for the 1940's types!

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

Thought some of them looked rather fun. I've also got a job lot (ex shop stock) of pure wool knitting yarn coming- hopefully in time for the NLHF, and I believe a lot of it is the right colours for the 1940s chaps. Don't think it actually dates back quite that far, but its a good knitting weight for those patterns or for 'socks for soldiers'. Should have it available at the fair if anyone wants to knit any of the patterns up and is having trouble getting suitable wool. (hoping for some weaving weight and some undyed too, but we'll have to wait and see what turns up)

(actually, Gareth is going to have a fit when he sees how much wool is about to turn up in my living room- but whats a girl to do when offered a small van full of wool at a price of benefit to re-enactors everywhere.... :roll: )

Mohan de.Elder

Post by Mohan de.Elder »

I wonder if they have patterns for a cricket jumper. If so have you any wool in a sand colour?

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

I think I have a pattern for a cricket jumper - made for my DH some years ago. He won't be needing another anytime soon! If you can't get one anywhere else, send me your address and I will put it in the post (if I can find it!!)

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

Mohan de.Elder wrote:I wonder if they have patterns for a cricket jumper. If so have you any wool in a sand colour?
Might do- it will be a 4ply shetland wool if I do, how much do you need, I'll have a rummage