The medieval kirtle/gown thing

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

Whisht yer crabbin Rab, you old sot! I know it was a teensy-weensy-probably-beery-tongue-in-cheeky spanner, but what a spunky little soubriquet it could also be.......

Tewkesbury - perhaps, perhaps! (Although if things get 'very' I may not be there - it all depends). And having sold my common gown off my back and said family crisis cutting into family time let alone anything else I am not sure if I will be wearing it, or a new one, or not at all, or in civvies, or naked or in New Age ren-medievalesque velour or even in my ultra-high status new Norman get up that Tuppence is making me for Hastings. (Has Nigel not had my form yet?) :mrgreen:

Hurrah! That shall make the hide and seek more fun.

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

form Gown

Now Iam confused

And not a little worried
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

...and I am having extreme pole dancer length hair extensions specially for the event so that I can case my plaits to knee length. I am ever so excited. You have HAD my application, haven't you?

Will Debs be able to bring those size 6 half hose to Tewksbury for Ico to pick up?

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

size 6 check

Application probabaly disgarded in the frivolous pile :D

You can try but you ahve never nocked me over
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

"but what a spunky little soubriquet it could also be....... "

depends on what you do with it I guess....

Please come to Tewksbury and make me smile.
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

HEALTH AND SAFETY WARNING*

Vicky obviously has not read you the full document.

Check with Nice that you REALLY do want housewifing. ( Tuppence had my application to give him with my order - it includes the Husbynd and we've already got his hand-stitched saxon slave-wear - took all spring, that did.)

* I'm just so bloody christian me, it's along the lines of having to invite vampires in. I'm not as warlike as Cat - or possibly as merciful: think more in line of a random mother-in-law moving in with you. Into the master bedroom with the only en suite. And forever.

Still want to meet?

Vicky

Post by Vicky »

Alice the Huswyf wrote:HEALTH AND SAFETY WARNING*

Vicky obviously has not read you the full document.
Shhh, Alice, I'm keeping it on a strictly need-to-know basis. It'll do him good! :twisted:

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Well Vicky said you were quite bonkers, but that is self-evident and perfectly fine by me.

" Still want to meet?"

Oh yes.

Should I wear a cross and garlic though?

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

Tuppence - in reply to your undersleeves query, I will dig out links to the paintings that have suggested this to me after Tewks. It is mainly interiors with fitted kirtles (waist seamed) short sleeves and pin ons - some of which are different colours. Given that some of the gowns at the matching period had wide sleeves which showed the kirtle sleeve underneath I can see the separate sleeve being used to extend the wardrobe.

I would also like to put in a major plea for transitional period garb. Waist seamed gowns, false undersleeves, pointed sleeves on kirtles, etc. did not just appear fully fledged in the early 1500's.

Tewkesbury is already 1470's, Bosworth is 1480's, there must have been changes taking place by then - at least at the higher end of the social pyramid.

Maybe catch up with you at Tewks,

Sophia :D

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

SOPHIA - I don't think you have to put in a plea for transitional fashions: it's just that at the end of the WOTR the women who could have afforded to wear it, probably wouldn't have been where most female re-enactors are. High class breeding totty would most sensibly have been at home securing the gates, running the family firm and dealing with everday small p politics of business while sir is out dealing with the BIG P Political end.

TUPPENCE - I'll send Ico to get her Hose from you at Tewks. And I'll drop by to pollute your stall - is my Norman stuff at a stage to be tried on yet?

JALEA - Get that Babby braced for a munching.

VICKY - How shall we arrange a meeting with the innocent Gregory?

GREGGIE-DEAR - Momma's a-coming to getcha! Do I get to munch your baby too?

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

"munch your baby"

is that a euphemism?

No my children will not be impeding my enjoyment this time, I will attempt to take eldest scabby faced little critter to an event next year to see if she likes it, as long as he doesn't act up that will be ok, if she does I will get medieval on her donkey.

As for meeting arrangements, wherever Vicky will be I will be close by, well not everywhere if you see what I mean....but on camp etc..

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

No, it is not a euphemism - unlike dietary intentions towards carpeting.

Bigger babies remind you of a large cream doughnut , particularly when they get to that lardy stage before they start to crawl, where stored fat for energy has turned their thighs into hams and they have creases on their wrists, necks and knees.

Little babies are scrawny and delicate and need encompassing.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

"unlike dietary intentions towards carpeting."

superb

My youngest is a very fidgety chubby thing and her neck creases smell of cheese, dribbles of boob milk that seem to get lodged there, yum...

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

One of the handy tips I learnt being out and about food encrusted toddlers. Clean 'em up with a drop fo your cola on a serviette. Better than spit on a hanky - better even than their own spit on your hanky. Strips down engines, so it'll get dried-on ketchup of a toddler, no sweat!

This handy hint was brought to you courtesy of le Bistro Des Arcs Doree.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

I done seen you. I know what you look like now - you need new kit to hide in. How's about something like this?