jesters costume

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

jon fool

jesters costume

Postby jon fool » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:06 pm

Hi thanks to ian first of all for putting me on to this site . What i am looking for is a jesters costume for around 1500 -1600 just wondered if any one had pointers or pics. i do do juggling ect so looking for something that is authentic but that i can still work in

seamsmistress

Postby seamsmistress » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:33 pm

Hi jon - I've made motley a few times now, including one which was presented in front of HRH Queen Elizabeth II. Referring back to the first Queen Elizabeth, I have access to a research library on this subject - alas not images that can be posted here due to copyright but if you'd like to pm me directly, I'll get the info to you.

Interestingly, my last fool [!!!] also needed free movement to juggle, stilt walk and fire eat which meant there was a need for building in fire retardancy into the garments, as well as providing different looks for other projects. Do you play with fire too?

Feel free to take a look at the website if you wish - this is the URL to the period slideshows
http://www.chimera-costumes.co.uk/clothing/periods.php

Also, take a look at the attached pic
Attachments
Med Jester small jpg.jpg

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:39 am

Several of the costumers who regularly post on here may be able to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Historical accuaracy and research really won't be a problem (how authentic do you want? - there's not really a limit on that one - even down to hand sewn and hand woven fabrics (admittedly the latter's a shade extreme :D ).

A bit more info would be useful though - things like:

are you actually looking for someone to make you an outfit, or just for some pointers on the research?

closely followed by, when would you need it? the best costumers book up at least three/four months in advance unless you're lucky and catch them when they have a gap (I know I do), or in some cases even years in advance.

some more info on the date of the costume you're looking for - the 16th century is a transitional period, with huge shifts in fashion - think henry VIII vs. Shakespeare, (although I suspect it'd be less drastic in the case of a jester, I'd imagine it will still be apparent to the trained eye). It might be helpful if you could say whether it's for a part of the century only, or whether it would need to cover the whole century.

Being able to move in the outfit shouldn't be a problem - I suspect that it would have to be a bespoke piece, meaning that the patterns for all the garments would be cut to your measurements (rather than having standard patterns adapted to your size).
As they'd also be cut to historical shapes, they'd work with your body, and move with you in a way that modern clothing doesn't.

And finally, I recommend that you get two or three quotes, and other info (just like with a plumber!!)

Debbie

PS - if you're not in too much of a rush and would like me to quote, just pm me :lol: )

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:57 am

Apologies to beat Karen to it with one of her own links pages, but have a look at:
http://www.geocities.com/karen_larsdatter/foolwear.htm

Return to “Costumes”