sensible mens clothing (medieval)

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

JC Milwr

sensible mens clothing (medieval)

Postby JC Milwr » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:12 pm

Does anyone have any pictures of medieval mens coats that might persuade an incredibly conservative older man that he won't look a twit in medieval clothing?
My dad is refusing to dress up for our wedding, he will wear a morning suit, but won't consider joining everyone else in costume, so I need to have a last ditch effort at persuading him!

Cheers

JC

Lady Cecily

Postby Lady Cecily » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:20 pm

How about a sensible coat (don't know the period name) - the one that mutates into the academic gown. Fairly straight cut, long sleeves and holes half way down for arms to come through.

Put a simple tunic underneath so he has the right cloth on his arms - he may take some persuading to do hose I suspect - but if the coat is long enough you wouldn't see modern trousers underneath much. I'll have a look for picutes later at home - unless someone else finds one in the meantime.

Caroline

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:38 pm

Garnache ?

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

jim-m

Postby jim-m » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:16 pm

try a nice 15th century outfit. they are not too outlandish

seamsmistress

Postby seamsmistress » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:52 pm

Hi - the garment that will probably serve you best would be a medieval Houppelande. These came in all lengths and were worn by the middle and upper classes from 1380 onwards and by older men particularly. They can be made from wool or brocade and edging with fur trims makes them look sumptuous and classy without being OTT. We have found this to be the answer for most parents at medieval weddings.

Email me directly and I'll send you more details if required.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:30 pm

I think the main thing in situations like this is to look at what he'd wear normally, and try to match it in tone. There's no point in putting him in something he'll feel completely uncomfortable in after all - he'll be fidgeting all day, and probably not look his best in the photos!!

If he's happy with a morning suit, then he's clearly a classic type of dresser.

I was about to suggest a nice pleaty gown, too.

Though I'd suggest something in a plain fabric, buttoning at the front, and roughly knee length (though full length would cover the legs completely if you're worried about the trouser thing). Something without tons of decoration or dagging - and not something terribly outlandish. (That said, could also be made in a decent velvet or silk if you want it to fit with other clothing, but I'd still go with plain.)

A plain fabric (perhaps a darker colour, and buttoning coat is a bit more like a modern man's overcoat, so if he's a bit more conservative than your average re-enactor, he won't feel too embarrassed by it. It also looks nothing like fancy dress, or 'medieval hollywood' (no tights for a start :lol: ).

The particular picture I'm thinking of is in a book, not online, (a bit of a beggar, cos it's really elegant), but I'll see if I can sort out a copy of it if you can e-mail me.

Debbie

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:34 pm

Was thinking about this again this morning, and it occured to me that another option might be a quite fitted long 'doublet' (mid thigh length).

Historically speaking that would be later 14th - mid 15th - again it'd button up the front, and you could make it with a straight (ie almost modern) sleeve, so again it'd look more like an overcoat or a frock coat.

If he wore quite fitted (round the legs) trousers, it'd look reasonable.

If you can't shift him, it's an absolute no, and he'll only wear the morning suit, then how about giving him a medievally buttonhole, or perhaps a lapel badge (like a liver badge) in medieval / heraldic colours?

Debs

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:21 pm

Scholar/cleric gown with pleated sleeve tops, some French or Flemish pic comes to mind, can be in black, looks elegant enough, a few pleats and if to ankle length no need for hose.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:39 pm

Scholar/cleric gown with pleated sleeve tops, some French or Flemish pic comes to mind, can be in black, looks elegant enough, a few pleats and if to ankle length no need for hose.

That's the later medieval version of the earlier medieval herigaut that Caroline and Nige mentioned above.

This is kind of the stage in between an acadmic gown, and a herigaut.

Miss Piggy

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:53 pm

Ah thanks Tuppence, that one will be filed.

:D

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Return to “Costumes”