Trimming a cote (cyrtel/kirtle) to extend length

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Wiblick

Trimming a cote (cyrtel/kirtle) to extend length

Postby Wiblick » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:22 pm

Posting for a friend, no really!

She washed a cote that she had bought and it shrunk and now she needs to know if it is acceptable to trim the hem with a wideish band of fabric to get it back to toe length. Unfortunately there is no deep hem to let down.

Should the trim, if allowed, contrast the main body of the dress?

Wiblick

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:45 pm

I suggest you discuss with your friend where she can find pictures of what they wore in them days herself. This really is the best thing to do as there were all sorts of variations, and some she will like and some she will not fancy.

Second-hand clothing was worn and re-made by most classes of people right up to about 20 years ago and everyone had to make do with what they could get. The very, very wealthy would trim their expensive fabrics with even more expensive fabrics, whilst the very very poor might get hold of some good material in a frock a smaller size than fitted and add fabric to make it fit them. How they did it in any particular period is in the pics. If you are stuck for places to see pics let me know and I will recommend books and the odd web site.

Return to “Costumes”