Traditional way of colouring straw hats in the early 20th C

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

thangtamfive

Traditional way of colouring straw hats in the early 20th C

Postby thangtamfive » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi all, new member here

I was wondering what was the traditional way of colouring straw hats in the early 20th century ?
Were they dipped into a vat of dye or painted ?

What is the best way to colour a hat to match that era ? Will normal clothing dye work ok and are there any paints that will work on straw and not crack or chip through wear ?

Thanks

RichardT

Re: Traditional way of colouring straw hats in the early 20th C

Postby RichardT » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 am

Having spent the last few years working in Luton Museum, I know a bit about this :) Either the straw was dyed before it was plaited or the plaits were dyed before they were made up into hats. Chemical dyes were taken up rapidly after their invention mid-19th c., so all dyes used by the the 20th c. would be chemical.

If you have a natural straw hat and want to change the colour I'm not sure how you'd go about it as the straw will have been treated to protect it, and that may repel any dyes.

Alic

Re: Traditional way of colouring straw hats in the early 20th C

Postby Alic » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:29 pm

"Straw hat varnish" is available from various (artist) printmakers suppliers, but as far as I know, it comes in "light" and "dark" only. (It's methylated spirits-based, and used as a resist in some etching processes.)

BTW, wasn't there an Agatha Christie story where someone committed a murder by swapping hat varnish for somebody's medicine?

Return to “Costumes”