As I am now in a position to do so

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Henri De Ceredigion

As I am now in a position to do so

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:38 pm

I would very much like people's thoughts and comments on my 17th century style uniform (as an English gentleman) that has finally arrived from the United States. This was first made for me in 2013, but thanks to HMRC attaching a £243 customs charge to it, I had to send it back. Since then the person who made it has been trying to work out how to avoid that charge and this week it arrived with no charge whatsoever. I am sourcing a pait of boots to complete the look (but sadly having size 13 feet, that task is a little on the tricky side)
Attachments
Henri de Ceredigion Outfit (Forums).jpg

sally
Post Knight

Re: As I am now in a position to do so

Postby sally » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:15 pm

boots should be no problem, Tod at Foxblade has always been able to sort me out various shoes and boots for Gareth in a UK14 and any of the made to measure makers will be working from your exact measurements anyway

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:07 pm

sally wrote:boots should be no problem, Tod at Foxblade has always been able to sort me out various shoes and boots for Gareth in a UK14 and any of the made to measure makers will be working from your exact measurements anyway

That's very helpful to know, thank you, however I should have mentioned that they can't be too expensive because of the fact I don't actually earn very much. Would you suggest contacting them and asking what a pair of size 13 boots would cost (and then work out if I could afford them)?

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Is the picture distorted?
Seems to be a lot of jacket and very little leg.
Are the blue leggings modern or part of the supplied garment?
The outer garment might pass as a jump coat for riding with some work.
The inner garment seems to have little shape and no sign of a waist or tabs.

As to footwear Tod lists prices on his website.

Kingofderby

Postby Kingofderby » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:55 pm

If it's off the shelf stuff you're going for, He does most in size 13 anyway.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Merlon. wrote:Is the picture distorted? Seems to be a lot of jacket and very little leg. Are the blue leggings modern or part of the supplied garment?
The outer garment might pass as a jump coat for riding with some work. The inner garment seems to have little shape and no sign of a waist or tabs.
As to footwear Tod lists prices on his website.

Here's what it looks like all spread out. It contains one coat, one waistcoat / vest, one short, a pair of breeches and a leather pouch.
Attachments
Henri's Costume 2.jpg

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:11 pm

Erm. What were these garments described to you as, on the invoice?

I am sorry to say the best thing I could say about them is, yes they are garments.
They might be adequate for pantomime, but sadly nothing else. They bear no resemblance to any English C17 Garment I am aware of.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Merlon. wrote:Erm. What were these garments described to you as, on the invoice?

I am sorry to say the best thing I could say about them is, yes they are garments.
They might be adequate for pantomime, but sadly nothing else. They bear no resemblance to any English C17 Garment I am aware of.

They were not bought from a company, they were made by a friend of mine from Texas who is part of a Living History group who attend the local Renaissance Faire.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:55 am

OMG

Banging the table looking for a like button re Paul's comments above.

Timothy Dawson does good boots

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:04 am

Nigel wrote:OMG Banging the table looking for a like button re Paul's comments above. Timothy Dawson does good boots

Yes, I agree with you on that regard, I've often seen something and said "That's a remarkably interesting piece of information. Where can I show some appreciation?". Would these be the closest to the 17th century (despite being termed Elizabethan) and if so, I would very much like to know the cost?

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:39 am

They are Elizabethan riding boots not like C17 boots, heel and toe shape completely different.
The way you find prices out is you contact the trader and they tell you, rather than just wondering about it.

The absolute bargain bucket for a pair of boots is going to be in the £120-150 from the lower end traders. Dr Dawson does not inhabit that range. For a decent pair of boots expect to pay £450 upwards.

Bear in mind with the vast majority of re-enactment groups you cant just stroll in and do what you want. You have to prove yourself and climb up the tree.
To give you a clue as to what you should be aspiring to, here is a picture of Colonel Mustard on the Mall back in October 2010.
Attachments
london05a.JPG

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:03 am

Timothy does do 17th century riding boots

Paul's kit is well researched and made using a number of suppliers plus it took him something like 25 years to reach the rank he portrayed ?

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Over the last couple of years, our village's carnival has been a rather on and off affair, usually with everything happening in the last few weeks before it is due to happen. This year, I am pleased to say, a carnival committee has already been placed into action and although a date has not yet been confirmed, the carnival will happen, therefore as well as sourcing a pair of size 13 boots, I would know like some assistance in sourcing a seventeenth century version of something that given the track record of our past carnivals will be a necessary requirement and that is an umbrella.

Now, I know that umbrellas did exist in the 17th century thanks in part to a painting called "Marchesa Elena Grimaldi" painted by Van Dyck in 1623, but I suspect that they are not like the ones we have today, so am hoping that people will be able to tell me what sort of umbrellas I need to look for and how much they are likely to cost?

And the reason for this investigation? I intend to wear my outfit to the carnival because in 2012, there was a Musketeer present and I am therefore hoping that he will be present again so that I can introduce myself as a Musketeer cadet

Return to “Costumes”