Intelligence Corps cap badge

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Times Past

Intelligence Corps cap badge

Postby Times Past » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:50 pm

Before I make a purchase are there any differences between the Intelligence Corps cap badge and buttons that were worn in 1917 and those worn in WW.II or later.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: Intelligence Corps cap badge

Postby Brother Ranulf » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:30 pm

Not sure if this is a trick question . . .

As I understand it the "Intelligence Corps" of WW1 consisted entirely of men serving in their own regimental uniforms, badges and buttons. To quote a very informative post on the Great War Forum:
The permanent Intelligence Corps was not ‘formed’ and badged until July 1940 and the reason for that late recognition was probably prejudice. There had previously been ad hoc Intelligence units (and ad hoc Intelligence Corps in WWI) but the concept of a permanent Intelligence setup had been considered undesirable – any hint that you may call on covert activities to fight a war was anathema to many at the top.

See the full posting here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... nce-corps/

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Times Past

Postby Times Past » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:57 pm

Wiki states that I Corps was founded in 1914 and disbanded in 1929 and permanently reformed in 1940. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellige ... ed_Kingdom

In reply to my previous inquiry in ‘Period Topics 1900 onwards’ about the uniforms worn by the press corps attached to GHQ from 1915 onwards a respondent to my question referred me to http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.ne ... espondents The important paragraph is

Crucially, they (war correspondents) received officer’s uniforms bearing green armbands – normally the insignia of the intelligence services - and the honorary rank of captain.

Which brings me back to the question what cap badge did the 1914 – 29 I Corps officer wear? It would be helpful to know before I buy the kit for a GHQ war correspondent.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Ah so you are portraying a War Correspondent not Intelligence Corp.
Does help if the question is accurate in the first instance.
Crucially, they (war correspondents) received officer’s uniforms bearing green armbands – normally the insignia of the intelligence services - and the honorary rank of captain.

Intelligence Services are not the same as the Intelligence Corp, different beasts.
The correspondents are embedded with a given unit so might be regimental button, or be safe and use GS buttons

Return to “Costumes”