Viking outfit

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

EyjolfrSkjaldulfsson

Viking outfit

Postby EyjolfrSkjaldulfsson » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Is there any recommended places to get gear for a Viking outfit?

Neil of Ormsheim

Re: Viking outfit

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:14 pm

I would always recommend making as much of it yourself as possible. Shoes and other leatherwork - try Merchant of Menace. For cloth stuff, try Iduna Crafts (I think that's how you spell it)

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

EyjolfrSkjaldulfsson

Postby EyjolfrSkjaldulfsson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:40 am

Neil of Ormsheim wrote:I would always recommend making as much of it yourself as possible. Shoes and other leatherwork - try Merchant of Menace. For cloth stuff, try Iduna Crafts (I think that's how you spell it)

Ah thanks! Any idea for weapons?

40/- freeholder

Postby 40/- freeholder » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:04 pm

The markets at Jorvik Viking Festival, held in February half term in York. Details on Jorvik Viking Centre website.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Whatever you find though, remember this

VIKINGS DID NOT HAVE HORNED HELMETS

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:01 pm

I would always start with a hand axe and/or a one handed spear - remember different societies have different rules for weapons, for someone starting with a one handed spear, The Vikings (my lot) limit it's overall maximum length of 5 ft 6 inch butt to point.
Axes and spear could also come from Merchant of Menace (as well as combat gloves), if you want a sword, look to Armour Class. I have around a dozen Armour Class swords (and ought to be on commission! :D ) but, if you can get there, go to York for the Viking Festival and take someone who knows your group rules to keep you straight.
Don't start off going for high status kit (to start with i.e. no sword or maille, dull colours etc.) and avoid spectacle helms as many groups restrict their use to earlier periods.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

EyjolfrSkjaldulfsson

Postby EyjolfrSkjaldulfsson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:11 pm

I am joining the Dunholm Vikings, and since Christmas is coming up to start getting things ready. I was told though sword and axes are the weapons mostly used while spears, you need to pass a safety first for them. I spend the last two weeks looking and not the best of results haha.

I am able to make it to the Jorvik Viking festival since it is only about 2 hours drive from where I live.

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:45 pm

Dunholm is part of the Vikings and, all weapons need training with and, before you get out onto a battlefield, you'll have to pass the appropriate safety assessment. There is one for swords or axes, one for single handed spears and shields etc.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

EyjolfrSkjaldulfsson

Postby EyjolfrSkjaldulfsson » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Yeah I remember been told that, but from what I remember as said, swords and axes were the starting weapons. When I was in regia, I started with a two-handed spear.
I do train with a wooden sword every now and then, but it shall be interesting to see using a non-wooden sword.

40/- freeholder

Postby 40/- freeholder » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Did you get sorted at the Jorvik markets? Queues were horrendous to get in but there was excellent kit on sale. I would have liked a closer look at the repro Viborg shirt, for example, but there were too many people in the way.

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:44 am

Weapons, fine, but you also need warm clothes. IT does pain me to see people wearing knitted hats and socks when nalbinding is so easy to teach yourself from youtube. I can teach eight year olds to do this! nalbinding needles are readily availabe on etsy or dead easy to make yourself, or cheat and use a tapestry needle

If you'd like to buy some hand spun yarn, get in touch with the local group of the Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers

Return to “Costumes”