Can I become an English Musketeer?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Henri De Ceredigion

Can I become an English Musketeer?

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:26 am

Members will remember back in 2013, a friend of mine in America posted me an outfit based on the style worn by Musketeers which (unbeknown to either of us) attracted a £209 customs fee and because HMRC couldn't wait a fortnight I had to send it back. Well, since then although I have got the £209 ready to pay for the fee, the person who made it isn't answering my messages so therefore I have come to the conclusion I will have to start from scratch (and would therefore like member's help).

Basic Outline

Whilst the colour is purely optional (in case red is a bit too much) that's the sort of thing I am after (and yes, I would want a pair of trousers / breeches). I am roughly speaking about 5ft 10 - 6ft tall, have a 44 inch chest, 44 inch waist (to make things comfortable) and a 32 inside leg and I take size 13 shoes. The sword is extremely optional but the baldric isn't and if possible I would like that to be this type of yellow / gold dependent on how you describe it. If possible I would like it to cost the same as I was going to spend on postage (but could happily increase that budget to £250 if needs be)

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: Can I become an English Musketeer?

Postby Mark Griffin » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:54 am

Ha, you ref pic gave me a chortle on a Sunday morning, thanks!

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:Ha, you ref pic gave me a chortle on a Sunday morning, thanks!

Not a problem at all, any suggestions as to the main question at all?

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:03 pm

are you saying you have £250 for a kit from the feet up inc some kind of sword and accoutrements?

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:39 pm

I'm intrigued that a baldric is required, but not necessarily a sword. Given that the former is the support for the latter, seems a bit pointless.
French Musketeers of the nature specified in that picture have no equivalent in Wngland.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:42 pm

Merlon is correct of course. If you are saying French musketeer as in an official bodyguard to the King what we have is all post Commonwealth (but read below for the exceptions to the rule of course!) and even then its not a separate body on foot. On horse its a little different but even the first 'Life Guards' are not really official until Charles II. If you wanted to be in the regiment with highest numerical preference due to date of founding and thus closest to the Monarch its the 3rd or Scots . They were first formed by Charles 1 in 1642 but disbanded in 1651 by which time the Coldstreams (1650) and 1st Footguards (1656). Pre 1642 its debatable who would be chgarged with the responsibility for what we now call close protection.

On horse Charles 1 has a collection of chums clustered round him who could be called the Lifegaurds but officially doesn't happen till 1685 when His Majesty's Own Troop of Horse Guards is formed by Charles 2 in Bruges.

However there is the Yeoman of the Guard (in the same uniform as the Yeoman Warders or 'Beefeaters' but with a different standard) and the Serjeant at Arms who were a kind of close personal protection to the Monarch but seem to have been formed with mainly a legal role in mind. I can't trace how many there were in the early 17th cent. Obviously we have 1 still left in the House of Commons, but unless you want to strut about in stocking and a bicorn.....

There is a need (imho) for a Dumas re-enactment society, rather surprised there isn't as a response to the leather and studfest of the tv series in fact, but maybe there is enough fencing and civil war stuff about already. I for one would love to wave a rapier sand swig from a flaggon whilst parrying and eating froma capon laden spit. Maybe I already do but just don't get dressed up for it....

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:52 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:Merlon is correct of course. If you are saying French musketeer as in an official bodyguard to the King what we have is all post Commonwealth (but read below for the exceptions to the rule of course!) and even then its not a separate body on foot. On horse its a little different but even the first 'Life Guards' are not really official until Charles II. If you wanted to be in the regiment with highest numerical preference due to date of founding and thus closest to the Monarch its the 3rd or Scots . They were first formed by Charles 1 in 1642 but disbanded in 1651 by which time the Coldstreams (1650) and 1st Footguards (1656). Pre 1642 its debatable who would be chgarged with the responsibility for what we now call close protection.

There is a need (imho) for a Dumas re-enactment society, rather surprised there isn't as a response to the leather and studfest of the tv series in fact, but maybe there is enough fencing and civil war stuff about already. I for one would love to wave a rapier sand swig from a flaggon whilst parrying and eating froma capon laden spit. Maybe I already do but just don't get dressed up for it....

That is precisely the answer I was looking for, and yes, I agree with you, Let's make a Dumas society (might solve the problems I have with finding very little in this part of Wales). Any suggestions as to how to create one gratefully received.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:10 pm

well, the original french counterparts were all minor nobility or gentry class so money is the thing.....

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:49 pm

But put an ad in the societies section and see if anyone bites. Suspect that as you are in a very rural area with not many people about you are statistically the areas re-enactor. No idea if Aber Uni has anything going society wise.

You'd need to choose a reasonably well defined era of course and a modus operandi. If I was doing it I'd be calling it The Duke of Buckingham's Men and every weekend we'd go sight seeing to La Rochelle....

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:02 am

and as a guide, a decent tabard for the musketeer look (in silk with decent metallic thread embroidery and metallic fringe) is going to be about £275.00 Just had a slightly simpler one made.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:41 am

There is Normannis group at Aberystwyth Uni, not exactly the preferred time period, but a friendly bunch.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:59 am

Mark Griffin wrote: If I was doing it I'd be calling it The Duke of Buckingham's Men and every weekend we'd go sight seeing to La Rochelle....

I'll form "The Flashing Blades" and we can fight each other every Saturday morning for 30 minutes; we already have a theme tune...

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:11 pm

We need opposing names.

I vote my lot the 'Deadly Black Scorpion Warrior Fiends of Certain Doom.

Alternatively the Corps of Unified Ninja Tercio Society, has a better acronym

Return to “Costumes”