Egyptian shenti

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Muaythaimat89

Egyptian shenti

Postby Muaythaimat89 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm at a loss on how these where tied up. I've seen some short instructions but I don't understand the rabbit ears bit in them. Help! It's for a fancy dress party.

Cheers mat

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: Egyptian shenti

Postby Brother Ranulf » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:19 am

Rabbit ears? (I'll come back to that).

Men's clothing in ancient Egypt evolved over time and was also variable depending on status, age and occupation. The simplest version was a simple wrap-around short kilt of white linen, not pleated and held in place by a strip of linen used as a belt, tied in a knot at the front. No rabbit ears or any other embellishments.

By the New Kingdom, aristocrats, priests and royalty wore pleated kilts which could be ankle-length, often tied with a sash which was coloured and fringed. Short kilts among noblemen and officials might be worn under a second, transparent and much longer kilt.

Those "rabbit ears" you mention might be the strange inverted teardrop or triangular flap of linen worn at the front of the kilt by some Egyptian troops during the New Kingdom (18th dynasty onwards) - these did not exist before that time and seem to be mainly used among the military. How they were attached or draped is not clear, but the best bet would be to ignore them and go for the more simple styles of the Old and Middle kingdoms.

Various simple kilts worn by field workers:
field workers.jpg

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:39 pm

In some cases that triangular flap may be the front of the loincloth pulled up over the kilt, though I'd agree its far from clear exactly what is going on. Funnily enough I'm making Egyptian kit next week so I'll report back when I've decided exactly what I'm doing for the male version

Muaythaimat89

Postby Muaythaimat89 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:27 pm

The rabbit ears are I think the tabs on some form of knot that's twisted or somthing. and not actual rabbit ears or ears of any type lol . I don't think I was all that clear tbh

I'm after a labourer/slave type look. Tbh just needs to look poor Egyptian and not in any way historically correct but would be nice if it was.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:23 pm

I have enlarged and boosted part of my earlier image. What you see as rabbit ears is simply the way a bow was shown - the strip of linen used as belt was tied with a simple bow as seen here:
field workers - Copy.jpg

In this case the kilt is made of a piece of linen which is curved at both ends; one end is folded inwards and allowed to hang, to form the little tab seen at the lower middle, which is placed against the stomach; then the other end is wrapped around the body and pulled tight over the first end. Last, the belt is tied around everything to keep it all in place. Just as common would be a rectangular piece of linen simply wrapped around and overlapping, tied again with the linen belt (think bottom half of a knee-length dressing gown).

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Muaythaimat89

Postby Muaythaimat89 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:45 pm

Thank you guys for your help. That all makes much more sense now. Now just to learn now to walk like an egypition :| lol,

Cheers.

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:27 pm

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Muaythaimat89

Postby Muaythaimat89 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:24 pm

Alan E wrote:Egyptian walking lessons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq7DGvfnr3U

:P

I'm looking at joining the exiles. So maybe you could show me in person ! :lol:

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Excellent! Whereabouts are you?

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Return to “Costumes”