What to wear with this

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Gothic-Haven

What to wear with this

Postby Gothic-Haven » Fri May 19, 2006 1:13 pm

As we have stopped trading and I never did sell this lovely linen kirtle I now want to utilize it and wear it.. but I need a head dress and general accessories .. any advice on head wear.. belts.. kirdles etc greatly appreaciated
Attachments
t_90_1_872.jpeg
Last edited by Gothic-Haven on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"its the bubbles.. they get lodged in me chest"
"mmm yes there's room for a few lodgers in there!"
www.gothichaven.com/gothic-clothing

Gothic-Haven

Bump

Postby Gothic-Haven » Tue May 30, 2006 12:03 pm

bump

Gothic-Haven

bump

Postby Gothic-Haven » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:55 pm

bump again

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:06 pm

G-h I have moved this to the costumes thread for you as you will get the answers you want their.

Skev

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:10 pm

How'd it go at the forge? :wink:

www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

Gothic-Haven

Postby Gothic-Haven » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:13 pm

Skevmeister wrote:G-h I have moved this to the costumes thread for you as you will get the answers you want their.

Skev

Thought thats wher eit shoudl have been was trying to be clever as the original post is ages old ..thanks Skev :-)

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:08 pm

That is the Historic Enterprises copy of the Hjolofernes kirtle (C14th). Contact them for the accessories shown in the picture - which is from their website, I believe.
Ana Period Shoes for machine stitched beginners shoes.

You can put a sideless cote or higher sided and warmer (and earlier) cyclas over it it.

Gothic-Haven

Postby Gothic-Haven » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:22 am

Alice that is very useful information.. the kirtle is lovely and lightweight but a cote over would be nice too.. will see if I can find the website..ok found it..They have the one that is pictured with the dress and also the wimple (I fancy a wimple) would that work..i have very short fine hair so wonder how I would keep a simple veil on..
Attachments
129_large.jpeg
Veil
196_large.jpg
Wimple

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:55 am

keep a veil on by having a fillet (alice band to us modern types) and pinning everything to it.

Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.

Gothic-Haven

to veil or not to veil

Postby Gothic-Haven » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:09 pm

I could try that.. I do have problems with my hair though its now quite thin on top and I do eveything to hide that fact inclding wigs and clip in dreads.. although in the heat of the summer even human hair wigs can get hot.. I might buy both and try with the dress see which suits.. then a new belt or kirdle will be in order I think

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:30 pm

if you go with a full veil and wimple, the hair thing shouldn't be a problem if you can take it off when you put the veil on and reassemble afterwards.

the whole point of a veil is that you shouldn't be able to see your hair anyway.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:32 pm

If you wear a fillet and a wimple of fine linen it is feminine, cool, a solid base for a pinned veil and the combination completely hides the hair line. I have worn the common Luttrell Psalter combination (including open woollen hood) and it is surprising comfortable.

Gothic-Haven

Postby Gothic-Haven » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:47 pm

Forgive my ignorance but could you post pictures of the type of head wear you mentioned.. I do like the wimple (not that I have aspirations to be a nun!!LOL) I think it is feminine and hides my double chin!!

Gothic-Haven

Postby Gothic-Haven » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:52 pm

Forgive my ignorance but could you post pictures of the type of head wear you mentioned.. I do like the wimple (not that I have aspirations to be a nun!!LOL) I think it is feminine and hides my double chin!!

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:27 pm

Three veils from differing periods to try and show construction and usage

Wimples were an everyday piece of modest clothing which women wore before they became nuns and kept wearing as nuns and long after the fashion passed; thus becoming uniform after it was forgotten as a piece of common clothing.

Simply you can use a horizontal band of linen pinned around your crown with a vertical band tied under your chin and pinned over your centre parting at the top of your head. I would also pin the veil on where the two bands join to stabilise the whole thing with minimum fastenings.

Cut and hem a half circle of linen, allowing and extra 4" projection where you have cut the 'diameter line ' to make the half cricle, hem and pin to the base as described.

Or make a fillet, which is a band of double linen with a tape at each back corner, it is slightly narrower than the circumference of your head running tight to your hairline in an alice band style. |Tie the band tight around your head, and pin the veil to this.

A wimple can be a fully tailored hood or a tube of fabric (you will see a couple of them supplied complete - and worn WRONGLY with the hair line showing - a young girl's / high born fashion and a little racy. You could buy one and alter the fit to snug your hairline).

Or a Wimple can be a draped or wrapped rectangle of fabric. I wear a rectangle pinned over my head and tucked into my neckline. Sarah Thursfield gives instructions in her book The Medieval Tailor's Assistant (Making Common Garments 1200 - 1500 ISBN 0-903585-32-4 page 200) For a rectangle pinned to the sides of the fillet at the hairline. The veil is draped and pinned over this.

A little discrete weight sewn into the back of your veil hem (like some cheap costume jewelery chain) will stop the back lifting in a breeze if you choose the semicircular version, or you can choose a longer, less generous veil or wear the tailored hood version of the wimple, which laces at the back like proper nun's wimple and will reveal nothing. The mosre comples to make but the simplest to wear if you don't want to bother with exposure or wayward wiglets.

You can stitch short coils of false plait to the underside of the fillet to peek out in wear, or skip the lot and hide it all - much easier, cooler and more stable to wear!

OR you could ignore everything above, buy the one shown on the site and pin it tighter at the crown..................

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:49 pm

The draped cloth one (second picture) actually hangs much better if it an oval, rather than semi-circle. Having a curved front edge seems to work a lot better.

I will be experimenting this year with different curves (if I get time!)

Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:02 pm

The only problem with an oval veil is that you will then end up with something very much earlier than the kirtle (Norman and post-conquest springs to mind). You need a straight edge at the face to replicate the later veils.

Return to “Costumes”