Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

GinaB

Postby GinaB » Sun May 21, 2006 3:18 pm

Thank you for these links Lena - more to add to the files and to think about!

The Admiral

Postby The Admiral » Sun May 21, 2006 3:44 pm

Thanks very much to Nigel and Vicky - I have been in touch with Willow and he's very kindly agreed to make some points for me :D :D (for both me and my hubbie actually as I've decided to join him in the re-enacting). Well they do say if you can't beat them join them eh?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sun May 21, 2006 3:56 pm

I would like to say how nice John's aiglettes are, lovely, just right, I look forward to pointing them.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sun May 21, 2006 6:04 pm

gregory23b wrote:I would like to say how nice John's aiglettes are, lovely, just right, I look forward to pointing them.

Absolutely - if you're up for rivetting on your own, John's are very good indeed!

Laffin Jon Terris

Postby Laffin Jon Terris » Mon May 22, 2006 9:42 am

Whilst on the subject of all things braidy, what about the wheel braiding systems commonly known as trollen(sp) wheels?

Are they ok for 15th century use (in view of the public)?

They make a fantastic braid and I find them easier to use (and teach) than luceting (and much quicker too!) :lol:

Lena

Postby Lena » Mon May 22, 2006 10:18 am

GinaB wrote:Thank you for these links Lena - more to add to the files and to think about!

If you want to follow up about the viking lucet debate, it's somewhere in here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorsefolkArchives/

Possibly continuing in Norsefolk_2 as well.

/Lena

GinaB

Postby GinaB » Mon May 22, 2006 6:04 pm

Laffin Jon Terris wrote:Whilst on the subject of all things braidy, what about the wheel braiding systems commonly known as trollen(sp) wheels?

I understood that this was an Anglo-saxon/Viking tool. But, I have done no research on it, or the braids it produces, so really can't give you an answer, besides the fact that I wouldn't use it for 15c until I had some other evidence. :wink:

I'll post a query over on the Soper Lane site - we have quite a few site members who deal in other periods as well as some in Northern Europe. They may well have some answers!

Lena

Postby Lena » Mon May 22, 2006 8:16 pm

GinaB wrote:
Laffin Jon Terris wrote:Whilst on the subject of all things braidy, what about the wheel braiding systems commonly known as trollen(sp) wheels?

I understood that this was an Anglo-saxon/Viking tool. But, I have done no research on it, or the braids it produces, so really can't give you an answer, besides the fact that I wouldn't use it for 15c until I had some other evidence. :wink:

I'll post a query over on the Soper Lane site - we have quite a few site members who deal in other periods as well as some in Northern Europe. They may well have some answers!

If it's a wooden disc with holes around the edge (googled, couldn't find any images), I can safely say that I've never seen them in all my eight years in Scandinavian archaeology. When I saw one at the NLHF I thought they were a post-medieval thing as I've never seen any before.

/Lena

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Mon May 22, 2006 8:24 pm

Lena wrote:
If it's a wooden disc with holes around the edge (googled, couldn't find any images), I can safely say that I've never seen them in all my eight years in Scandinavian archaeology. When I saw one at the NLHF I thought they were a post-medieval thing as I've never seen any before.

/Lena

If I know what you're talking about, isn't it Japanese Kumihimo braiding? As far as I can tell, nothing medieval English about it!
eg: http://www.mtnloom.com/Kumi.htm

Lena

Postby Lena » Tue May 23, 2006 9:38 am

Vicky wrote:If I know what you're talking about, isn't it Japanese Kumihimo braiding? As far as I can tell, nothing medieval English about it!
eg: http://www.mtnloom.com/Kumi.htm

Yes! That's the one I saw.

Thanks.

Laffin Jon Terris

Postby Laffin Jon Terris » Tue May 23, 2006 8:25 pm

Fantastic! so now its a Japanese thing device- they get everywhere! :lol:

GinaB

Postby GinaB » Wed May 24, 2006 11:22 am

Yes Vicky the feedback I have had is that it is Kumihimo which explains why I wasn't familiar with the name.

It seems to have become popular in re-enactment after a disc that might have been used for braiding was found in a Viking context - the same person who told me this said that the finds were reclassified last year. We are trying to track down further info, but that could take some time. (This was part of a general discussion within the Braid Society)

The general consensus within braiding people is that they wouldn't suggest its use in any pre-modern context in the UK.

So, I really wouldn't use it on site as there is no real evidence, particularly if the only item that could possibly have been used for it has now been reclassified.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:56 pm

Just found this from Libell of English Policy 1420 but re-written over the next few decades too.

Part of the list in rhyme of the commodities from Spayne.

....Iren wole, wadmole, gotefell, kydefel also
(for poyntmakers full needfull be the ij)

Goat and kid skin.

Another definitive description of what points were made from (although not exlcusively as we know about arming points too).

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:16 am

Jorge you total geek.. careful you'll have more geek points than me old boy soon.

ggggeeeeeeekkk!

Talking of which - I have a little something for you..

Not hijacking the thread totally I'd like to say how excellent Gina's book is - totally fab - Mrs Chickun loved it!

Aw, it's not easy, is it?

Braidwoman

Postby Braidwoman » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:20 pm

Re the "Trollen Wheels", people who sell or use them often justify their use in a Viking context by saying that there was one found at Birka or Hedeby. But there is an excellent book by Eva Andersson which came out in 2003 called "Tools for Textile Production from Birka and Hedeby", which describes some 2500 tools and discusses the textiles made with them. There is absolutely nothing in the book which resembles one of these things, nor any mention of the sort of braid made from it.
Agree with you about it being Kumihimo, isn't it just a marudai without legs?

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:46 am

Just had a set of points off of Willo - very nice they are too!

Aw, it's not easy, is it?

The Admiral

Postby The Admiral » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:19 pm

Yes he did me a set too - they're great and he was really quick - they'll get their first outing at Tewkesbury.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Return to “Costumes”