True blue baby I love you

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Baldrick

True blue baby I love you

Postby Baldrick » Tue May 16, 2006 8:28 pm

Hi all,
I was wondering if one of you knowlegable stitchy types could point me in the right direction for an authentic blue for use in linen surcoats of the C13th/C14th sort of period.
And a pointer in the direction of someone, or somwhere, who may stock said coloured material, would be wonderfully apreciated too.

I am planning on getting two made in my chosen personas colours, one long for C13th and one short when I play his grandson in C14th.........(as if you needed to know that :roll: )

Thanks in advance :)

Craig.

"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

kerry

Postby kerry » Tue May 16, 2006 10:07 pm

have you tried bernie the bolt.

kerry :D :D

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Wed May 17, 2006 6:17 am

A quick and useful rule of thumb is that the pigment in woad is identical to that in indigo (at least in most concentrations and to the naked eye, its hard to tell apart under the microscope in many cases too), so pretty much any shade you can get traditional blue jeans in is a shade you can achieve with woad, but that mid range denim blue is pretty spot on. The darket the blue, the more dye it needed, and the more expensive it would have been, but all those variations on jeans blue are right in the middle of the range that works for woad, and you won't go far wrong to keep them in mind when choosing fabric.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed May 17, 2006 1:14 pm

you could also try anwar at herts fabrics, or the goodmans, or clothyard, or fabrics of time.

another option is local markets* and normal fabric shops (though the latter will be more costly) - we're in about the right time of year for linen if you're planning on using that.

and if linen, you could always try getting white and dying it with dylon machine dye (I'm doing that more and more these days).

and there's always the mulberry dyer, if you want to be completely authentic. not cheap, but gorgeous!!

if looking for silk, on the other hand, there are a few good websites I can dig out if you pm me.

Debs

(*assuming you have them over there - I"m spoiled by having the biggest market in europe a bus ride away, so I sometimes forget that not everywhere has them any more

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Baldrick

Postby Baldrick » Wed May 17, 2006 8:55 pm

Thanks all for your suggestions :wink: I knew someone would be able to help on here :D

Kerry, loving your work dear.

Sally, your ideas for the shade of blue I`m after seem to be pretty much spot on.

Tuppence, I have pm`d you,

Thanks again all, mucho apreciato

Craig.
:twisted:

"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Wed May 17, 2006 11:22 pm

I too seem to be dying fabric a lot these days to get it just right. Actually Dylon do a machine dye for denim -works fine on natural fabrics and gives that soft mid blue - very pretty.

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

Heloise

Postby Heloise » Thu May 18, 2006 9:08 am

Dylon's Porcelain Blue is a very good soft blue too.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu May 18, 2006 9:25 am

Ah I see a theme developing

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Baldrick

Postby Baldrick » Thu May 18, 2006 3:43 pm

Well there`s no way I`m going to die on the battle feild wearing a Barby Baby Blue surcoat now is there :roll: ...............

But hey.......wait a second..........I may look quite fetching with a matching baby blue pouch and pink helm......mmmm........

Cough Cough !! No hang on a darker more manly blue it is then.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Thu May 18, 2006 3:47 pm

Dare I say I think Ikea sells a blue linen (and red I think?). We have bought loads of their white and natural linen and it is very good value.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Return to “Costumes”