Making a linen belt bag! (or trying to, help!)

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

RyanA

Making a linen belt bag! (or trying to, help!)

Postby RyanA » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 pm

I've recently been making a Viking round shield and have quite a lot of leftover linen in sizable chunks from the shield facing, and I got to thinking what I could make out of it. After folding it up, I thought 'hey, I could make a bag out of this if I stitch the sides in!

But I haven't stitched anything before! Curses to my lack of emrbroidrery skills (and spelling!)

I'm looking for a kind experienced sewing-person who can give me pointers and advice on how to hand sew this linen bag and add either a shoulder strap or belt loops.

All I have with me is a needle, some black thread, and a long piece of white linen that's been cut to size to make a satchel like bag thing!

Neil of Ormsheim

Re: Making a linen belt bag! (or trying to, help!)

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 am

Stage one - get rid of the black thread and get some off-white thread instead.
Stage two - if the linen is bright white, run it through the washing machine with a used tea back (without milk) to make it look more like unbleached linen.
Stage three - have a look here - http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resourc ... nnex3.html - for basic stitch types known from the period.
Stage four - make sure you construct a shoulder bag - they are much more authentic. I am not sure of any linen bags from the period that wouldbeattached to a belt via loops.
Stage five - make sure it's big enough to hold your helmet and gloves as they are the things that get in the way most at an event (when not being worn).

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:29 pm

Cheers Neil! What about the button toggle though?

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:28 pm

You can make a toggle by folding a strip of cloth edges to middle, then rolling it up and putting a few stitches along the edge to hold it together. Won't stand out, and perfectly functional

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:21 pm

I've made like a button toggle out of some spare plywood I had, rounded it out so it looks nice, just wondering how I can attach it to the cloth and sew the hole though! Do I need to drill holes in the toggle and thread it through?

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:34 pm

RyanA wrote: spare plywood

Can you see that it's made of plywood rather than solid timber?

"I never said that I was here to help."

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:21 am

After sanding it down, you can't see the join at the side, just looks like the surface of plywood all the way around.

Return to “Costumes”