tunics of Saints Clare and Elisabeth

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

40/- freeholder

tunics of Saints Clare and Elisabeth

Postby 40/- freeholder » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:56 am

I have found line drawings of the garment pieces for the Tunic of St Clare and the Tunic of St Elisabeth of Thuringia but none of these images have a scale. Could some kind soul point me in the direction of an online resource with a scale drawing of these garments, or a PDF of the 1979 article in German which reputedly has patterns for constructing replicas. Thanks.

Lena

Re: tunics of Saints Clare and Elisabeth

Postby Lena » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:24 pm

I have Grönwoldt's article in Die Zeit der Staufer (1979) and it has the same line drawings as Marc Carlson's webpage "Some clothing of the Middle Ages" and Eva Andersson's article in "NESAT X". You have to look in the text for any mention of scale.

St Clare: length of front: 164cm, length of back: 171cm, sleeve length: 50cm, shoulder width: 15.5cm
St Elizabeth: length of front: 135cm, length of back 143cm. Shoulder width is not mentioned at all.

The fabric width for St Elizabeth's tunic is at least 54cm with a 0.7cm selvedge.

Hope this helps!

40/- freeholder

Re: tunics of Saints Clare and Elisabeth

Postby 40/- freeholder » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Very many thanks, just the info I needed. I started drafting a scale pattern but this will now have to be revised. I'm hoping to cut out on Saturday at a Textile Group meeting.

Return to “Costumes”