Aprons...

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

ladydetemps

Aprons...

Postby ladydetemps » Mon May 19, 2014 10:32 am

I was wondering when spinning in the past what kind of apron was used? Any particular fabric?
I'm fed of getting flyaway fibre all over my lap and want to know what the proper historical option was. :)

tanyabentham

Re: Aprons...

Postby tanyabentham » Wed May 21, 2014 8:51 am

I spin standing, but I suspect if you're getting lots of whispy bits falling off its a combination of, a, you just need to improve your technique, and b, the fibre you're using isn't of the best quality. Often when begginers are given free fibres to practice on they're not of the best quality, and it's sort of a cruel kindness because poor quality fibre is harder to spin, of course I can't say for certain without seeing what you've got.

ladydetemps

Re: Aprons...

Postby ladydetemps » Wed May 21, 2014 12:18 pm

tanyabentham wrote:I spin standing, but I suspect if you're getting lots of whispy bits falling off its a combination of, a, you just need to improve your technique, and b, the fibre you're using isn't of the best quality. Often when begginers are given free fibres to practice on they're not of the best quality, and it's sort of a cruel kindness because poor quality fibre is harder to spin, of course I can't say for certain without seeing what you've got.

I've been spinning for about 24 days...although not 'Every' day. ;)
I'm still parking and drafting.
this is what my yarn (and a bit of the fibre) looks like
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladydetemps/14190920751/
I think its probably my technique...but if its not on my lap it'll fall on the floor, then I have to hoover yet again. :$

Return to “Costumes”