Applying a fur trim

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

harrietrf

Applying a fur trim

Post by harrietrf »

Hello great font of wisdom...

I decided to put a 3/4" fur trim around the edge of my gown for this year's Kentwell main event, but I'm not entirely sure how to do it, and I am now locked in nervous indecision as I prepare to cut the furs...

I think I should cut out strips as long as possible, join any that aren't long enough, and sew it down right side to right side on the front of the gown, so that it turns under, then just fold it over the edge onto the inside and sew it down without turning it under (sorry this isn't a very clear description!) Am I on the right track? And would the joins in the fur show?

Thanks for any help!!

Harriet

House of De Clifford

Post by House of De Clifford »

SHAMELESS PLUG !!!
cant help with the making of but if you need any more fur let us know, we have all sorts in stock !!
hehehe
Dave.
House of De Clifford
Suppliers of ethical fur and hides to Re- enactment, Film, Tv and Theatre.
http://www.houseofdeclifford.co.uk

House of De Clifford

hmmm men, what is he like!!! he sits there watching me sew with fur most eves!!!

I've done lots of fur trimming, if you want to be historically accurate, the fur was used as a lining for the dress then turned up at the bottom of the dress and sleeves to 'show off' on the seen parts of the dress, however, this is v expensive and v warm mid summer!!! to cut corners i usually cut the fur double width( cut the fur from the back and on a slnt with your scissors, to avoid showing a timmed edge and also to stop loads of fur getting everywhere). and i then fold the fur over the front and back of the edge of the garment, then back stitch it on from the inside of the dress. if you do it the way you have suggested you may see the leather poking through, trial and error have given me the experience!!!!

Always sew by hand as machine stiches don't let you pull the fur through afterwards, I suggest going back over the trim with a needle afterwards and just loosely pulling the fur through your stiches.

also another tip, use leather needlew the go through the leather much more easily and use embroidery silk, it is stronger and authentic.

Miranda
House of De Clifford

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

I don't bother to "join" the ends of the fur together. If you cut them to match, you can butt them up really close together, and avoid another lot of stitches.

S.

House of De Clifford

oops yep forgot that bit, thanks shadow cat,
if you cut the fur on an angle when you link the two together and start a new strip, the fur will overlap nicely :wink:

Miranda
House of De Clifford

harrietrf

Post by harrietrf »

Thanks all for your help.

Miranda - if I leave a raw edge of fur, doesn't it show? Or am I just likening it to fabric too much?

When you say cut on the slant, does that mean holding your scissors at a slant or cutting as if it was bias on fabric? I was planning to get my little brother to hold it in the air while I cut the back with a craft knife - good idea or not?

And as for machine sewing...it didn't even cross my mind!

Harriet

House of De Clifford

Hiya harriet,

yep hold the scissors on a slant. craft knife not a good idea, you won't get a good finish.

Raw edge of fur? - yes it may show unless you have cut the fur on the slant to leave some longer hairs over hanging. if you are triming an edge of fabric, say a sleeve for example, i would double the fur over on the seen side and turn the fur under the edge of the sleeve on the inside too.. oo isn;t it difficult to explain by typing!!!!

Are you at any other events before kentwell? if you look on our website, you can see which events we will be at, i would be more than happy to demonstrate this for you, and then you can see my fur trimmed dresses too... might be a bit easier. failing that if you are still in difficulty i will take some pictures for you, just pm me.

Miranda
House of De Clifford

harrietrf

Post by harrietrf »

Miranda,

I will be at the Oyster Faire probably, but I'm not that much of a procrastinator to leave it til then.

I think I have enough of an idea what to do to give it a crack, so hopefully I can show you the finished thing then!

Thanks, Harriet