Victorian Shirt

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Dishtwiner

Victorian Shirt

Postby Dishtwiner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:04 pm

I have a rather wonderful old book on sewing from 1900 (Needlework and Cutting out by Agnes Walker.) which has a pattern and instructions for making a boys shirt which I thought would be fun to follow but it talks about binders and shoulder linings in relation to sewing on the sleeves, which I don't understand. Does anybody know what they are referring to here? I have found pictures of older square cut shirts with extra pieces of fabric around the arm hole area and/or on top of the shoulder but no tailored shirts with extra fabric sewn on.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Re: Victorian Shirt

Postby Miss Costello » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Have you got a pic, I can probably talk you through it.

Kate

Dishtwiner

Postby Dishtwiner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks for your response. I don't have a pic but the instructions say after the sides have been sewn up and the foot hemmed;

IV. Binders-Stich the sloping edges of the shoulder linings. Flatten the seams down. Baste them neatly on to the wrong side of the shirt and either hem them down on the wrong side, or stich them on the right side where the dotted line round the shoulder is. (There is no dotted line on the pattern.)

Then you sew on the yoke and make up the sleeves.

X. Either stich or hem in the sleeves letting all the fullness go into the end of the blouse (Yoke) and hem the shoulder linings down on the wrong side. The cross material is the under half of the sleeve.

Then the rest of the shirt is finished. There is no indication on the pattern of any linings.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:20 pm

It might be easier if I post a pic of an original shirt made to this style. I'll retrieve it from the loft later and take photos.

K

Return to “Costumes”