Leather trousers....

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Blanc Sanglier

Leather trousers....

Postby Blanc Sanglier » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi there,

Does anyone know where I could source a good pair of man's leather trousers, preferably accurate fixings (i.e lacing or buttons, not a zip)

I did like these ones, but after emailing them 3 time and phoning twice with no result, Ive given up!

http://www.thevikingstore.co.uk/costume ... 5103-p.asp

Thanks

Albion Historical Falconry - preserving the history and heritage of falconry through credible research and authentic public displays and demonstrations- www.albionhistoricalfalconry.co.uk

steven pole
Post Centurion

Re: Leather trousers....

Postby steven pole » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:37 pm

I have a pair of thick leather biker jeans I could sell. They are 30" leg and 35" waist.

Blanc Sanglier

Postby Blanc Sanglier » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:08 pm

They wouldnt fit, unfortunately (not long enough leg) but thanks anyway :D

Albion Historical Falconry - preserving the history and heritage of falconry through credible research and authentic public displays and demonstrations- www.albionhistoricalfalconry.co.uk

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:09 pm

If its black bike jeans you want I have some with laced up legs, about 36" waist 34" inside leg.

Blanc Sanglier

Postby Blanc Sanglier » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Well Tod, it really came as a result of my partner watching an old Mike Loades documentary where the two guys doing rapier fighting were in lovely renaissance kit with leather trews, couldnt see how long they were as they had knee length boots on. So Andy decided he'd like some for himself, but Mr Loades said that they were made 20+ yrs ago and they werent sure where they got them from when we asked, so now I am looking to find some similar. We have looked at bike leathers (and yours sound like they'd fit), but we are wary as they often have pockets or inaccurate looking waistlines, zips, etc.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:56 pm

TBH they are most likely wrong both the leather bike jeans and the ones worn on TV. You'd be better sticking to fabric ones. Phil the Grips is the man to ask about this sort of thing.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Tod wrote:Phil the Grips is the man to ask about this sort of thing.

That video is likely one that features Mike Loades fencing against John Waller sr. for the "Arms in Action" series shown on the telly and used for the video displays at the Royal Armouries. The kit they are wearing is standard theatrical fare, generally ordered from Museum Replicas, and bears little relevance to history, certainly not black chromed leather anyway, so not a provenance I'd be happy using but have a look here-
https://www.museumreplicas.com/

There's another docco Mike Loades did featuring him and Henry Clayton (not seen him in years- I'd start by asking folk like Mark Vance what's he's up to if you want to get him and ask) wearing ex-theatre props. I am almost 100% certain Henry is wearing Ramirez's outfit from the original Highlander film! Again not a good provenance.

The only leather trousers I know in history are C18th Regency and buff britches- there's a few American suppliers that do them at serious cost ( about $300 last I looked).

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Blanc Sanglier

Postby Blanc Sanglier » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Dear Phil,

It may well be that you are right, and that I am unable to source period trews :(

But, thank you for your help, I appreciate it, and hope we find something as good that is accurate!

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:23 pm

I was at a MeDATS talk a few months back, where they were talking about leather hosen (16th C). However they were made of chamois (including the yellow colour), so not black trousers as we know them.

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

RobinsBright2

Postby RobinsBright2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:51 am

Tailored shorts in a light and dark neutral for a chic & well-polished summer outfits. For Fall pair the dark shorts with tights.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:21 am

plenty of extant leather clothes around late 15th cent onwards. but it has to be the right leather and the right cut and construction. Or just ebay for biker stuff.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “Costumes”