Ageing of Medieval Clothing

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Phoenix Rising

Ageing of Medieval Clothing

Postby Phoenix Rising » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:52 pm

I've been thinking for a while that my kit would look better if it had more of a 'lived in' look. As an archer I would have been used to dragging about in all kinds of weather and conditions etc, and it would be good perhaps if my clothing could reflect the rigours of such a life. However of course I don't want to damage the clothing by cutting it up or rolling around in dirt in it, as it all costs money!

Are there ways to 'age' materials to look used, or are there any products for theatre / film use that could be employed to achieve such a look?

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Re: Ageing of Medieval Clothing

Postby Phil the Grips » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:43 pm

There are these-
http://www.thecostumestore.co.uk/mall/p ... %20Crayons

Best is to hang you kit on the washing and wear it to do the gardening in between gigs- that way the wear will be consistent with activity through use.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:08 pm

And sleep in it too. That gets the wrinkles in their proper places.

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks for your suggestions Phil and Frances - might have a go at doing some gardening and sleeping in them to see how they look then! The thought about this came to mind because I'd been watching the 'Making of the Pillars of the Earth' featurette, and the head costumer talked about how they'd had to age the clothes but gave little in the way of idea as to how this was achieved.

Had a look at the link as well, interesting thought to use this - I've also seen a similar product mentioned in the last couple of days of looking around on this subject that's from the US called 'Schmutz', so might give that a try.

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:37 pm

I wear my kit at home in the winter as it's wool and is lovely and warm, therefore the heating doesn't have to go on as much. Get your kit worn in and save on your gas bill at the same time!

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:03 pm

But remember, everything was new once. Whilst it might look a tad strange to have a low-ish class person wearing new everything at once, they would have had. at least, newish stuff from time to time.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Return to “Costumes”