Looking for patterens for late 1400's trews

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

gallowglass

Looking for patterens for late 1400's trews

Postby gallowglass » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:32 pm

Any idea on where I can find the above please????

Kathleen McCabe

An Bradán Bán {The White Salmon}

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:02 am

specifially, what do you mean by the term "trews"?

debbie

(Not being picky, s'just so I avoid directing you to completely the wrong thing).

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:58 am

I assume you mean Scots trews or the Irish ones.
Try posting on the Sealed Knot site. There are some Gungiven trews that may be correct (not sure if that is the correct spelling.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:16 am

The Dungiven trews are from the 1600's.

Trews were the natural evolution of your older hose, so for the 1400's look for info on c15th hose and you should be prety much on target.

BR
Andy

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:55 pm

I've always considered the term 'trews' to refer to later 'trouser type garments' (c.16th - 19th C, eg the dungiven, the cotton trew, etc etc), rather than something medieval, which is why I asked for more info.

But it struck me that you might be looking for medieval "trousers", which were worn in the further reaches of Europe, insted of hosen (meaning Ireland, northern Scotland, Scandinavia) and by the peasant classes in the more central areas (England, France, Germany, The Low Countries, etc).

If you are looking for medieval trousers (rather than hosen), stay away from the hose patterns, because they're completely different in cut and construction.

Trews were the natural evolution of your older hose

Sorry, but they're not as it happens (though that's the natural assumption, and one made by costume historians for years).

Till Janet Arnold and a couple of others got involved. The cut is actually more likely to be a combination of the split hosen (meaning single legged of the early medieval type) that were still worn in some parts, and the 'trousers' that were worn in others.

If you look at what's known about trews, and compare it to what's known about hosen, the cut of the two bears hardly any resemblence, although looking at a pair of each made up, you could barely tell.

I'm not sure that there is a medieval trousers pattern anywhere, but I'll have a think.

Debbie

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:36 pm

Yes, the Dungiven trews especially as the pattern was designed for single elle (sp?) width cloth if I get my pattern right.

There are a few patterns for good c17th trews that come from original remnants.

You will have to excuse my absolute ignorance on the finer points (any point) of earlier hose :D

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Sledge

Postby Sledge » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:05 pm

Dungiven trews can be found on the Reconstructing History web site - Kass McGann has got a great pattern for these.

The pattern in the Medieval Tailors Asst is a good one - which I have used for many years. I have got diagrams etc in a Word doc. - if you want to PM me with your email address I'll send them to you.

Lozza

gallowglass

Postby gallowglass » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:43 pm

I'm actually looking for both English and Irish. The English ones would have to be late 15thCentury.

Kathleen McCabe

An Bradán Bán {The White Salmon}

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:29 am

So for English read hose a completely differant garment to Trews.

And you ahve been shown were to go for the pattern for those

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Return to “Costumes”