Purpose of the oval cutout in Sally's pattern?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

nest

Purpose of the oval cutout in Sally's pattern?

Postby nest » Fri May 24, 2013 9:03 am

This probably a really daft question but I don't understand what the oval cutout achieves. In my mind it makes the area of fabric across the breasts smaller and for someone who is on the well endowed side, I'm struggling to make sense of it.
Could someone please enlighten me, I have some lovely light sage green linen just waiting to be cut out but this problem is causing serious procrastination at this end!

Kind regards
nest

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Re: Purpose of the oval cutout in Sally's pattern?

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Fri May 24, 2013 8:12 pm

The oval cut out fits the fabric around the breasts in their natural, unsupported position. If you leave it flat you will achieve a saggy mono-bosom unless you are plastically enhanced, when it will give you a unibreast.

Have faith, make it up. Cut slightly large at the front and fit it (inside out for access to seams) - but not skin tight (when you turn it right-side out you need to allow a little extra space of the bulk of the seam allowance plus wool worn outside shrinks to fit). Pin the centre front opening as a plain seam without following the 'cut out' shaping so that the garment sits well before THEN adjust it including the 'cut out' between your breasts, fitting on your body to suit. Do not cut bits out or off anything before this fitting. Size depends on figure shape, posture and and size.

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

nest

Postby nest » Wed May 29, 2013 5:12 pm

Thank you for the response Alice, if i may ask one more question. Am i right in thinking then that the positioning of the oval will vary greatly depending on the size and positioning of the breast...for example my son's girlfriend is the same bra size as me but our natural breast shape will vary considerably to our 34 year age difference, pregnancies (or lack of!)etc etc?

Kind regards
nest

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Wed May 29, 2013 5:59 pm

It's a pleasure. You are spot on.

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Return to “Costumes”