Landschneckt Costume - can anybody make one?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Blanc Sanglier

Landschneckt Costume - can anybody make one?

Postby Blanc Sanglier » Thu May 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi there,

Does anybody with experience in costume making think that they could have a go at making a landschneckt costume, something like the one in the image?

It comes from a sword demonstration video on youtube, the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4Ng6DBfrg if you want to get a better look, it is the white, red and blue costume we are after.

I would preferably like it in yellow red and blue though, as opposed to white as it is in the video. I guess a good material may be cotton or linen perhaps, definately not wool though!

Anyone think they could do this? And how much would you charge?

Cheers in advance

Helen
Attachments
landschnekt 1.png
landschnekt 1.png (106.21 KiB) Viewed 2660 times

Albion Historical Falconry - preserving the history and heritage of falconry through credible research and authentic public displays and demonstrations- www.albionhistoricalfalconry.co.uk

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Re: Landschneckt Costume - can anybody make one?

Postby frances » Thu May 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Whereabouts are you based?

EnglishArcher

Postby EnglishArcher » Fri May 03, 2013 12:29 pm

I think you're looking at:

Doublet:
Cheap, nasty, unfitted, non-period materials: around £100
Period-correct tailoring, materials, dyes, sewing: around £350 - £400

Breeches/hose:
Cheap, nasty, unfitted, non-period materials: around £60
Period-correct tailoring, materials, dyes, sewing: around £150 - £200

Is there a reason why you don't want wool? It would have been correct in-period. Wool comes in a vast range of weights. Not all wools are the nasty blanket-like meltons beloved of re-enactors. A fine worsted or say would be as soft, light as, and general more breathable and comfortable than, the equivalent garment in cotton.

(BTW: "Schnecke" is the German for 'snail', so you're pretty much asking for a "land snail" costume! :D I'm sure you meant 'Landsknecht' - there's no 'sh' sound in the word)

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Blanc Sanglier

Postby Blanc Sanglier » Sun May 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for replies, very informative. Obviously I don't want a land-snail costume, that would just be really silly!

I would definately like period accurate materials, I cant even entertain the idea of modern materials

My initial reaction to wool was a definate no-no, because we are qualified martial artists (amongst other things) and we were looking at costume that we could use for private and public training regularly and I was worried my poor partner would shrivel up and dehydrate in wool. But if it were possible to have a light weight breathable wool then I guess that would do the job....

Based in Cornwall, by the way

Albion Historical Falconry - preserving the history and heritage of falconry through credible research and authentic public displays and demonstrations- www.albionhistoricalfalconry.co.uk

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Mon May 06, 2013 7:22 pm

Lightweight wools lined with pure linen with pure linen shirts/shifts and braies under them are the way to go. Any stiffening canvases should also be pure linen. The linen will wick the moisture away from the skin and the wool breathes. Do not use cotton as it swamps. If you have a pure linen garment and a pure cotton garment wash them both without spinning them and you will find something interesting out. The linen will absorb a lot more water that the cotton without feeling so soggy and will dry much faster. You will also find that wool dries remarkably fast. Wool also has the advantage that if it rains it still feels warm when it is wet compared to a vegetable fibre.

I do 3 weeks at Kentwell Hall every year wearing Tudor clothes 6 days a week. When it is really wet my woollen clothes keep me nice and warm. In hot weather they are not difficult to wear once you are used to them and at the end of the day when I take them off I turn them inside out and hang them up to help any sweat in the lining and stiffening canvases to dry out.

If you are recreating period activities as a demonstration it will give your audience a much better idea of what was involved if your clothes match those of the period. If you have images of your activities that will help recreate the clothes you need. One thing you should remember is that there are appropriate clothes for the situation. This might involved having several layers of garments.

A couple of years ago when it was really hot at Kentwell I can remember walking all the way up to the house to see Mistress Clopton (I am her Tailor) in my full rig and I was pretty warm but you do not present yourself to your social superiors improperly dressed. When I was working in the Workshop I could go without my gown but if I knew Mistress Clopton was going to call I would have to put it on. The same thing happened when the Gentry from the house were walking about the Manor, they had to wear all their posher layers because as Gentry they couldn't be improperly dressed. There same goes for the other working folk, what you wearing when you are working/exercising is not what you wear when you are not.

I hope this helps.

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue May 07, 2013 12:29 pm

I've just spent the last 2 days working as carver at Gainsbrough Old Hall. I've been wearing by linen underwear, a lined and interlined 'fustian' doublet and a thick, heavy gown of broadcloth (baise?) lined with wool. I was definitely warm, but only broke a sweat on a few occasion. I was really quite impressed.

That said, if you're wearing layers like that and doing heavy exercise INDOORS, you're going to get very warm as there's little breeze to carry the heat away.

If you're looking at doing historic martial arts in this kit, you're going to need it to fit REALLY well as you're going to be pushing it closer to it's limits than most re-enactors do. Also, you'll need to spend a bit of time getting used to moving in it as it has slightly different restrictions to normal clothes. Don't be afraid to loosen your back points to give you more 'bend' at the waist and take care when you're streatching and reaching or something will tear.

Best of luck with it.

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Wed May 08, 2013 7:36 pm

I was just wondering what is it about the blue and white affair that you so much like? I've seen all sorts of styles for this period and I would say that this is a very restrained outfit. It lacks all those wonderful cuts and vibrant contrasting colourways and patterns.

Blanc Sanglier

Postby Blanc Sanglier » Tue May 21, 2013 11:25 am

I don't want it in blue and white, I would like it in vibrant blue yellow and red. This is to match with a gown that I have (this outfit is for my parnter).

I like the simplistic cut of this one, because it will suit the style of martial art which we do. We are qualified in the japanese arts as well you see, and so massively bulky clothing kind of cramps our style, and like as not, the japanese still creeps into our medieval (and vice versa!)

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Tue May 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Contact Jackie Phillips at Cloaked and Daggered or Prior Attire, both have web sites.

Return to “Costumes”