Arm padding under armour

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Arm padding under armour

Postby Tod » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:02 pm

This is for my Almein Rivet. I have a linen outer, silk inner arming doublet. I found that my body is fine if direct hits are made on the armour but on the arms I feel the impact a lot more (mind you if some one hits me as hard as we did in the tests I will be less than impressed). Was there any padding under the arms? I know with leg armour (which I don't wear) they some times had blanket underneath (C15 I think). I did try a jack I had made but there is way too much padding in the arms to be able to move comfortably. This is for 1513.
Attachments
Targes 008.JPG

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: Arm padding under armour

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Alamin stuff was made to supply lots of people quickly and cheaply so tailored arming garments are not necessary as they are self supporting. You could wear it over an ordinary stout doublet or some kind of jack type garment. Or a mail short over one of those of course.

Looks very nice, adam's done a great job there.

Think you need to go up another hole at the shoulders.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Yes you're right, it needs more holes in the upper straps. That's a job for some time this week. I've got a mail shirt but I think it might be a bit snug and I don't know any one who does alterations any more and I don't have the time or the skill. I think it also has short sleeves.
The other arms I'm having made are encased so maybe they will spread the blows, I can't think the originals of that had much padding underneath or the owner had stick arms.
As you know this armour stuff is all a bit new to me. However it's an interesting learning curve :D

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Its a big problem with trying to do it 'right' and for re-enactment. The two just don't sit well. You need the thick padding so you can work on Monday morning. You are not fighting for a cause and your life hopefully isn't in danger.

Back in the day armour was often lighter and the padding was different. I was going to say less but it was just better thought through and better made. As we know, you can beef the padding up until you become immobile. Whether that makes you safer or not is going to be debated until cows evolve into something else...

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “Costumes”