Where can I get natural cotton?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Where can I get natural cotton?

Postby Tod » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:50 pm

As in pre processed before its made in to fabric. I want to use it as "stuffing" in a helmet liner.

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: Where can I get natural cotton?

Postby John Waller » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Tod wrote:As in pre processed before its made in to fabric. I want to use it as "stuffing" in a helmet liner.

I used tow in my liner which I got from a, sadly now closed, olde fashioned plumbers merchant. Which I think has historical provenance. What about wool fleece or even kapok?

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Midland Spinner

Postby Midland Spinner » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:36 pm

I can get you some un-spun cotton fibres, but why not use either fleece or combed wool (both of which I already have in stock)?

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Townsend do bags of tow

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Cotton wool 'pleats' from Boots/Tesco/Superdrug etc?

'S 100% unspun cotton fibre http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Baby-Cotton-Wool-Pleats-200g_924166/

If you're being really picky go organic http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Fairtrade--Organic-Cotton-Wool-Pleats/53193011

Or hit the Quilters shop on the road out of Bletchly http://www.threadsandpatches.co.uk/ and see if they can source some cotton or wool batting or wadding for you.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Shadow7cat

Postby Shadow7cat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Cotton Wadding, Whaley's Bradford. But they sell in largeish quantities.

http://www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/search.htm

How much do you actually want - I have the remains of a roll, if I can find it - the workroom is being re-organised and everything is scattered all over the house.
S.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 am

I can do you a binbag full of sheep fleece which will do the job AND make your head smell like mutton!
Yours for the cost of a bottle of claret.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:55 pm

I have several raw fleeces that I bought last year but I thought it might felt and turn into a lump. Do I need to comb it first?

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Tod wrote:I have several raw fleeces that I bought last year

Really? I can barely give the damned things away. Let me know next time you want some.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:04 pm

Felting you need heat, water n some soap to help it along, the raw stuff tends to have a wee bit too much lanolin to dread it together easily (felt is essentially shaped dreadlocks).

Kitty(hats), Sally(Pointer) or Rachel(Crafty Beggers) could help with sheep rubbing advice all being dab hands at it.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:23 pm

I want it to stay (fluffy) as it padding, I'll try some fleece between layers of linen and bash it about for a while and see what happens.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:58 pm

I've just checked our local spinnin supplier http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/13-plant and they appear to have some in.

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:54 am

Grymm wrote:Cotton wool 'pleats' from Boots/Tesco/Superdrug etc?

Or hit the Quilters shop on the road out of Bletchly http://www.threadsandpatches.co.uk/ and see if they can source some cotton or wool batting or wadding for you.

Formerly the The Bull hotel and local bikers hang out (as the landlord who is still a good friend of mine and has an A10, 400/4 and a very old BMW). Then it became a c**p hole, closed down became a gay bar, closed down now sells sewing stuff - which I forgotten about so thanks.
Now the ignorant bit, what are cotton wool pleats?

If I take natural fleece that has come straight off the sheep can I just use it as stuffing? Because I have two big boxes of it.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:18 pm

The gestech helm linings in Vienna seem to have unprocessed sheeps wool as their padding. They certainly smell that way. Either that or Maximilian was a sheep......

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:19 am

Or they have been used as very small sheep pens for a couple of hundred years. I have to ask why did you stick your nose in them :crazy: :lol:

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:44 am

You'll be surprised what I sniff in the name of research. Or just idle curiosity

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Midland Spinner

Postby Midland Spinner » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:47 am

Tod wrote:Now the ignorant bit, what are cotton wool pleats?

Cotton wool is eithern sold in fluffy sheets which are pleated/folded to fit into a bag or as a collection of small balls loose in a bag. It's usually found in either the baby section or the cosmetic section of a chemists' shop

Tod wrote:If I take natural fleece that has come straight off the sheep can I just use it as stuffing? Because I have two big boxes of it.

I'd suggest washing it first. If it's going to be used as padding inside layers of cloth I'd just soak it in luke-warm water until the dirt loosens, DO NOT move it around too much otherwise it will felt. Rinse in water at the same temperature as the water it's in.

You can use a detergent such as dishwashing liquid or soap, but this needs more rinsing and will risk the whole thing turning to a big ball of felt.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:15 pm

I have been recommended Ecover Delicates Liquid for washing raw fleece (not quite gotten round to it due to life and bad weather).

Spread out and pick over fleece first, then put a modest amount in a bucket with the correct amount of liquid for the volume of water (cold will do), then swoosh gently and soak over night.

To rinse use the bath or a baby bath, change water regularly and swoosh about gently. After final rinse squash the water out gently

To dry spread out on a towel or sheet, ideally do the whole process when it is sunny so you can put the fleece the whole caboodle on a the garden table to dry. If you have to dry it inside then lay it on a towel and roll this up and gently squeeze you remove as much water as you can before laying out to dry - do not wring.

The scraggy bits can be washed in laundry bag separately and produce great felty little tufts which are ideal wadding for early handguns (our last few lots came from the lovely Lucy the Tudor IIRC - P is the gunner not me).

P.S. Stuffing things with wool (cod pieces, bum rolls, etc.) is easier if you use carded wool, or you have at least partially combed it out with a steel toothed comb.

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:19 pm

We got some cotton pleats, Angie knew what they are I avoid that section of Boots. What we found was that it is best to make the liner and then gradually stuff it trying it on each time or you end up with too much padding and the whole thing is then too small. This would explain why I've always thought some closed helmets look way too big for rest of the armour they are with.

I don't have the time or a portable sun to mess about with the wool at the moment and if we ever get any sun I'll be doing some thing other than washing wool. By the way whats wrong with just picking out the dirt and use it as is (other than being chased about by Griff trying to sniff my head)? What am I trying to wash out just dirt? I (actually I'll ask Angie) might try just doing a bit in a plastic bowl with a little mild hand soap as I have some of that Ecover liquid soap. Then I'll have to dry it in the house on a tablea bit at a time. If it goes wrong I'll have a lot of wadding.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:45 pm

and bear in mind new and refurbed linings crop up lots of times in inventories. Jobs for the boys obviously. Its easy to buy a helmet, now about this service contract......

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:45 pm

Tod - on the matter of washing the fleece I suggest you stick your face deep in your fleece and take a deep breath and then imagine the odour once it is brought up to body heat or slightly above. Basically unwashed fleece is pretty stinky to say the least remember it will all sorts of assorted fluids, etc. on it as well as the natural lanolin - personally I find that the smell is slightly stomach turning.

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 am

And its not just natural oils, its, not beating about the bush, urine and faeces too.

I find a gentle hand was in mild detergent and some natural drying (don't tumble!) works pretty well. If used in linings it does bounce back a bit better than cotton which seems to compress and then that's your lot.

Return to “Costumes”