1363 'Statute Concerning Diet and Apparel' repealed in 1364?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Graham Ashford

1363 'Statute Concerning Diet and Apparel' repealed in 1364?

Postby Graham Ashford » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi there

I wondered whether anyone might be able to help?

I have been reading about the 1363 'Statute Concerning Diet and Apparel' with interest and wondered whether or not it is something that we need to be considering in our group as we span from about 1340 - 1390 in civilian dress. However, I was interested to see that the Statute was repealed in 1364 and an attempt in 1377 was made to over turn this repeal. I'm assuming that the repeal means that the statute's authority was completely dismissed and anyone could wear anything they wanted so long as they could afford it until the later statutes came in much later?

Would this have been the case in practice, was it generally a good idea to allow the statutes to inform your choice of clothing if about your social betters and so forth?

Any thoughts, comments or help otherwise would be much appreciated.

Kindest regards

Graham

randallmoffett
Location: Currently Northern Utah, Formerly Southampton and York

Re: 1363 'Statute Concerning Diet and Apparel' repealed in 1

Postby randallmoffett » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:57 am

Graham,

Generally speaking this is what the uppers do to make themselves look special. It usually fails. If you look through English inventories of this period it becomes clear that people if they could afford something and wanted it had it, no matter laws stating the opposite. I'd not worry about it myself. I am thinking of doing a persona of a well off merchant from Southampton (yeah I know who'd have thought I'd do something to do with Soton) I have read through many of the royal rolls and cannot recall many, right now any of these laws ever being used.

My guess is this is just like many laws of the later period when the uppers are trying to define what it means to be in their club and trying to exclude the others. Interesting enough much of the new money nobles and knightly class are pushing these as well... sort of sad.

RPM

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:28 pm

If you were the wife of the fur dealer, wouldn't you want to wear the best his shop should obtain?

randallmoffett
Location: Currently Northern Utah, Formerly Southampton and York

Postby randallmoffett » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:49 am

Frances,

For certain. My guess is that people who worked in luxury good likely had some pretty nice stuff around the house.

RPM

IDEEDEE

Postby IDEEDEE » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Interesting.. I'd heard about reissuing sumptuary legislation, but not the repeal mentioned... What? Legislators realising that to keep a piece of unpopular, largely ignored and near-unenforceable law on the Statue Books is a bit pointless...? AND taking the sensible step of repealing it..? Surely not.. Wouldn't happen today :wink:

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:19 am

[quote="frances"]If you were the wife of the fur dealer, wouldn't you want to wear the best his shop should obtain?[/quote]

and dont forget the 100's of shoes !!! :P

Return to “Costumes”