shear terror

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

MedicKitten

shear terror

Post by MedicKitten »

I have a major problem here: 10 beautiful yards of wool and linen, and i'm too afraid to cut it because i'm not sure if the mock up of the bodice is perfect yet, and I dont want to waste such lovely fabric. Its supposed to be side lacing- how much extra should i allow in the duck layer to allow for shrinkage from boning?
Does anybody have tips for getting over scissor anxiety?
Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Kate Tiler
Post Centurion

Post by Kate Tiler »

Ah - I get this too! You are not alone :) It's the old 'blank canvas' terror too I think. Cup of tea helps, as does leaving it overnight for a fresh start in the morning - I try never to start something like this late at night as that is when I make mistakes.

E-hand holding here if it helps! Sorrrry don't know enough of the technical stuff to advise.
http://www.katetiler.co.uk
http://www.companyofartisans.co.uk
"In art as in life everything is possible as long as it is based on love" Marc Chagall

Drachelis

Post by Drachelis »

I know that one.............

Its down to the good old sheeting or cheap fabric - I always make a complete prototype ( including boning if needed) before embarking on anything I haven't tackeled before. - that way - any mistakes, mis calculations or whatever aren't on the actual garment.

OK twice the tme and twice the fabric but also twice the peace of mind in the end.

Good luck!!!

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Ooh - I know that feeling too.

Glad it's not just me. Nigel laughs at me when I get scared about cutting into wool from hainsworth's, or expensive silk. But then I get the blank canvas thing with embroidery too....

I'd do a test as well.

Although I don't do a full prototype (used to but quickly realised it wasn't viable for me to do in a business sense), I will test if using an unfamiliar boning, by running some channels into a piece of the same cloth I'm using for the corset / bodice.
I measure the width before I start, then again after I've filled the channels. Then I get on with the maths, and work out from that how much extra to add.
I tend to find that my method tends to go a bit awry if done with calico, (muslin), or sheeting, and the maths doesn't always work.

But if really worried, do make a proper mock up, and don't cut till you're happy with it, and feel comfortable that you're not going to mess it up (it's not worth the headaches, and goes back to the old measure thrice, cut once saying).

Also e-holding hand :D ,

Debbie.

PS - have some wool for a Naps uniform that I'm making. Really obscure colour - no longer made by hainsworth, cos the regt it was made for was disbanded, and not only is it really expensive, but I can't get any more, and have just enough for the coat....gulp,,,, :shock: no wonder it's been waiting to be made for about four years (it's a whim piece not an order).
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Tuppence wrote:Ooh - I know that feeling too.

PS - have some wool for a Naps uniform that I'm making. Really obscure colour - no longer made by hainsworth, cos the regt it was made for was disbanded, and not only is it really expensive, but I can't get any more, and have just enough for the coat....gulp,,,, :shock: no wonder it's been waiting to be made for about four years (it's a whim piece not an order).
Me too - the first time I had £20.00 per metre stuff it took me forever to cut it. (A long time ago!) Now I have a piece of £60.00 per metre silk brocade, bought as a remnant, so like Debbie's, no more ever, ever. Fortunately it's for a costume for me - a pair of sleeves and forepart - so it can wait and wait!

S.

MedicKitten

Post by MedicKitten »

My fabric isnt QUITE as expensive as yours, but I hand dyed it to a lovely blue...obviously no chance of coming up with the same color twice.

Actually I have made my mock-up...but i'm afraid the real stuff will behave differently. Half the channels and bones are now into the cotton duck...which is shrinking as expected. Good thing its side lacing!! :)

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

My fabric isnt QUITE as expensive as yours, but I hand dyed it to a lovely blue...obviously no chance of coming up with the same color twice.
It's just as irreplaceable though!!
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

Just take a deep breath and go to it. Have confidence in your own skills. We have all made mistakes, that is how to learn. The skill comes in once you have made the mistake, in putting it right so that noone can see what you have done. I am quite sure you will be fine.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

in putting it right so that noone can see what you have done
that's a good point.

as my tech theatre teacher used to put it, only you know what it was meant to look like - as my fashion design tutor used to put it, 'it's a design feature!'

:wink:
Miss Piggy

Drachelis

Post by Drachelis »

We call it subliminal design here

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

Deb

Post by Deb »

Deb, I remember that phrase, the by word of all design lecturers - it's a design feature.
I also remember being talked into a commission in my second year for a medieval wedding dress in silk, with was very similar to the gold dress in Shakespeare in Love and also involved 5 adult bridesmaid dresses in similar style and £600 of silk and damask which sat in the work room for a very long time, the patterns were absolutely perfect before I could bring myself to cut it out, just because it was £600 of silk, it really was shear terror

Lady Jane

Post by Lady Jane »

I fully agree with the measure twice and cut once policy. A couple of times I have laid up a garment and left it overnight before cutting just in case, then scolded myself for wasting time and doubting my ability :roll: I always test sew any new fabric and cut scraps for practice buttonholes, fusing, decorations etc and make toiles if possible in a similar weight fabric. I try to pre-shrink any mounting/ lining fabrics if possible to avoid shrinking surprises during ironing. If the final garment is to be washed, I try to pre-wash fabric. My clothes line can hold about 20 metres uncut yardage luckily. Afraid I can't avoid cutting and sewing late at night, that's when I'm the most creative. I actually make the most mistakes first thing in the morning when I'm well rested and not yet In The Zone. E-hand holding sounds like a great idea, add me to your support group :)

ragnar skinn

Post by ragnar skinn »

Quayn has made me a great porpoin...all i have to do is put the point holes in and then reenforce with thread...it is all marked out and ready for me to do...thing is i do not wish to cut in to it...it is even marked out for me to do...but fear gets me...lol

give me a battle field every time...but cutting in to my nice new porpoint ... :( i have even practiced that round and round thing you do to eyelet holes and i got it down to a realy great square/dimand/star and anyother patten but circle..lol i am so good at the technical terms...lol

:oops: i know it is not the same thing as your talking about, but it is a very nice porpoint :oops:

ragnar
I SAID I,M ON YOUR SIDE...!

MedicKitten

Post by MedicKitten »

Thanks for the e-hand holding, the interlining and boning are done with only ONE nasty suprise! (the dratted thing wound up being too big, god only knows how)
Now that i know exactly what shape i really need i should be able to work up the courage to cut the nice blue wool and green linen for the outside layers...in a day or two. :oops: