I need 13th Century hairpins

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Lady Josselyn

I need 13th Century hairpins

Post by Lady Josselyn »

Can anyone help me please?
I have just made a veil as every self-respecting lady of the 13th century should have one. It has been suggested that it should be fixed in place with pins. I would like to get my hands on some functioning authentic replica 13th century hairpins, to complete the look.
I've tried the internet but can't find anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Jackie Phillips

Re: I need 13th Century hairpins

Post by Jackie Phillips »

The veil would be fixed to something underneath it, such as a fillet, a barbette, or just a tightly tied coif. Ordinary pins, not specifically hairpins, were used to attach the veil to the garment underneath.

Most of the pins I have are made by 6of1 - http://www.6of1.biz/page9.htm - I'm not an expert on pins, they say they are 14thC on, it may be worth asking them about slightly earlier styles.

Lucy the Tudor (www.lucythetudor.co.uk) also makes good pins.

Jackie
Trust your instincts, whatever else you do.

Lady Josselyn

Post by Lady Josselyn »

Thank you
I'll take a look. :D

Lady Josselyn

Post by Lady Josselyn »

Oh and yeas. It is to attach it to a barbette.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

Thanks Jackie.
My pins come in three thicknesses, from "really thin- authenty but bendy" through "normally thin- bit stronger, minimal hole in cloth" to thick as a bit more thick thing- bends less, bigger hole in your linens".
All at £1 each. Either with the bald coil of brass, or soldered over the coil ( both of which used for this period) I think the soldered look nicer, but customer's choice.
lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, *rse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

Peter Crossman makes lovely fine veil pins with a figure of eight head which are suitable for your period IIRC.
aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

I have actually used plain pins to hold later caps and veils straight into drawn back hair, but a fillet, barbette or band is always preferably for medieval or weightier headpieces.

Just for interest, the Museum of London had some bent U shaped pins they were displaying beside gable headdress wires, which looked like a plain-shanked, squared off version of modern old fashion bun-pins.

edited for sense
Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Lady Josselyn

Post by Lady Josselyn »

Thank you all so very much. I will be having a chat with our authenty officer on whether I have to have plain pins or pretty ones, as I am portraying a lady.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

For veil pins, you will want long fine shanked pins - these thinner wire pins can bend when being pushed too hard into tight or close woven fabric. Push them in slowly and gently with a continual twisting motion by rolling the back and forth between your finger and thumb (like acupuncture insertion) to save ruining cloth and pins.
Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?