what can i use insted of silk ?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Brian la Zouche

what can i use insted of silk ?

Postby Brian la Zouche » Thu May 31, 2012 6:24 am

i'm looking to make a banner, and i am led to believe silk was used however i cant find the colour i need, and i dont want to go to the hassle of dying any, as its not for battle purposes, i realise some synthetic materials are not so good when introduced to heat sources as natural clothes, but again that is not an issue, whats my best option ?? the two main points i need it to cover are, lack of colour fading and light enough to catch a light breeze so it 'flys' well

ty in advance for any ideas/ suggestions

tonw

Re: what can i use insted of silk ?

Postby tonw » Thu May 31, 2012 10:12 am

What colours are you looking for Brian

Also do you want naturally dyed colour of synthetically dyed if you go for the naturally dyed you'll get colour fade no matter what colours you choose.

In choice of fabric you could opt for linen over silk

--
You are never too old to storm a bouncy castle!

Don't poke angry people!!

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Thu May 31, 2012 11:33 am

colour is red ( gules ) i dont want to bother dying (even tho probby would get a more authentic colour),
i am aware that even sythenic material can fade in the sun
i want something that appears to be silk ( i would have silk but again i have been told it costs a bomb ) so linen isnt really what im after.

i had thought about satin, but the back side tends to be dull compared to the bright glossy side
Last edited by Brian la Zouche on Thu May 31, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu May 31, 2012 11:38 am

How big is the flag ?

And how much silk would you need ?

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:04 am

light silk (habotia or how ever its spelt) is about £10 for a meter at 45 inches from beckford silks and they do a wide range of colours but its best to pick it up in person as the camera colours arn't always quite like the acctual colour also if you visit they have a box where they sell of short lenghts and ends of runs on the cheap same quality just the leftovers that most people don't want. they are near evesham

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:27 am

brill ty ... and only a tenner a metre :)
sorted :) m many thanks :thumbup:

nutmeg_bec

Postby nutmeg_bec » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:55 pm

surely not - my local store sells Habutea for about ONE pound a metre - was that a typo?

nutmeg_bec

Postby nutmeg_bec » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Fabric Land (Kingston) BTW

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:30 pm

nutmeg_bec wrote:surely not - my local store sells Habutea for about ONE pound a metre - was that a typo?

is that the pure silk stuff or the 'Thai' silk? £8-£10 sounds about right for most pure silk Habotai. if you can get proven real silk yardage at £1 a m, buy the lot off them, you'll make your money back no problem!

eta, if its the same as this fabricland website, its polyester not silk http://www.fabricland.co.uk/habutae_fau ... yester.htm

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm

sorted thanks........... all i did buy some of the habotai silk, its brill ..........i also found a local warehouse that sells it too, not quite as wide and only in white, i had been led to believe it was very expensive, hence my looking for an alternative, but its really quite cheap :)

thanks all :thumbup:

Return to “Costumes”