Livery Collars

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Bobfrance

Livery Collars

Postby Bobfrance » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:28 am

There are a number of references to Livery Collars being worn in towns and cities as opposed to Livery coats/jackets.
Can anyone help with further information please?

Bob

tonw

Re: Livery Collars

Postby tonw » Mon May 14, 2012 4:52 pm

A quick internet search turned up this not the most reliable source but ho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livery_collar

And I found these images on the same google search

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&pq=livery+collars&cp=18&gs_id=7&xhr=t&q=Livery+Collars+8+8&safe=off&biw=1366&bih=677&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=EyixT6P1I8fO0QXDv5G_CQ

Also Lancastrians known to use the SS device on collars to

--
You are never too old to storm a bouncy castle!

Don't poke angry people!!

Bobfrance

Postby Bobfrance » Mon May 21, 2012 7:02 am

Hi Thanks for this

Not sure at what level people would have work these would a Butler or Steward worn these around town? I gather they were for upper echelons of a household but am finding little evidence to support this?

Best wishes

Bob

Anthony of the MSS

Postby Anthony of the MSS » Mon May 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Oh that reminds me, I meant to post up on this. Went to a Christening the other day at a Church up the road from me (Spratton). I was hugely distracted during the service by the Effigy in the corner of the church that I didn't know was there. Lo and behold its of national importance, and is the first recorded livery collar of "s's".

Its in absolutely remarkable condition given the reformation, if anyone is passing through Northants (FOH for example) then A detour to Spratton Church is well worth it.

tonw

Postby tonw » Mon May 21, 2012 3:13 pm

I've been thinking about this too and have uncovered several different "levels" of workmanship

from the highest levels where the collar is made from rare metals like gold and silver, would these have been worn by lords and nobles who wished to wear their personal liveries in battle (Showing their support for York and Lancaster)

Lowered grades of leather collar with decoration fitted like belts household members where a livery coat is not suitable for example a retained physician or household priest for example, maybe even given to retained men at arms when not "at war" when out and about as it would show his position within a household while being able to wear his own clothing

Just my thoughts but as said there is little evidence

--

You are never too old to storm a bouncy castle!

Don't poke angry people!!

carolgreen270

Postby carolgreen270 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:08 am

Not sure at what level people would have work these would a Butler or Steward worn these around town? I gather they were for upper echelons of a household but am finding little evidence to support this?

Best wishes :D

Return to “Costumes”