bowl turners outfit :-)

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

James le Turnour

bowl turners outfit :-)

Post by James le Turnour »

Good evening :D

I'm looking for some advice regarding ideas for my outfit as a bowl turner, which I'm hoping to make and perhaps add to at various events. I'm going to go to the Herstmonceux do in late August and we’re a bit new to this. So I'm a bowl turning demonstrator who makes Mary Rose style ale bowls, though will be making earlier replicas too so wish to have an outfit of the right style. In Robin Wood’s book the "Wooden Bowl" he states that bowl turners could have been well off as, by the 15th C they were in charge of measures and were a fully fledged craft guild and regularly took on apprentices, so although they were practical craft workers they were also reasonably well off.

So, as operating a pole lathe is hard strenuous work I I'm hoping that the outfit will be good fitting but not too hot. So I wonder if anyone has any photos or pictures of what you think I might look like as a medieval bowl turner.

Many thanks in advance,

james :D

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: bowl turners outfit :-)

Post by John Waller »

Couple of period illustrations of turners at www.bloodandsawdust.com/sca/lathes.html . Choose your period, find a costumier and say "I want something like that".
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

For later 15th century England - hose about your hips or so, attached to a doublet, which is closed by points, ie woven thread fasteners with aiglets on the end. Hat. Ankle boots. Shirt of linen, and braies of same, by this period can be like boxer shorts or y-fronts. For when you stop work and try and look presentable, a gown of some sort, thigh or knee length.

Late 15th century French joiner:
http://classes.bnf.fr/ema/grands/721.htm

Quickest way to familiarise yourself is to buy or borrow a copy of "The medieval Tailors assistant" which gives a general enough overview for your purposes.

James le Turnour

Cheers guys :D

Those links are very interesting! I am currently in discussion with a local reenactor who is steering me though the process and I am gratefull of all guidance that comes my way! I will be using both links for inspiration and am looking forward to looking the part!

I have ordered the Medieval Taylor's Assistant and am looking to get more confused :?

Whatever am I getting myself into :shifty:

All the best

james :D

Grymm
Post Centurion

Post by Grymm »

Remember that in history, especially in the re-enactment world, for every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.

wulfenganck posted up a link to the CSG cossie guide onthis forum.
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Midland Spinner

Post by Midland Spinner »

Grymm wrote:Remember that in history, especially in the re-enactment world, for every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.

you mean "for every person you ask you will get at least n+1 answers" (where n is the number of people you ask!)

James le Turnour

Grymm wrote:
Sorry for my newbie ingnorance can you explain "CSG cossie"

Many thanks

james :thumbup:

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Post by Merlon. »

James le Turnour wrote: can you explain "CSG cossie"
Companie of St George Clothing Guide
http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms ... e_Download