15th / 16th century 'bows'

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Adam the Archer

15th / 16th century 'bows'

Postby Adam the Archer » Sat May 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi all
I am struggling - I can never remember how to tie a bow for medieval points etc - whenever I try it always looks wrong!

Cheers

Adam

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

The one-looped sort?

Postby frances » Sun May 29, 2011 12:52 am

You can do them left-handed or right-handed, or alternate them to look pretty.

It is just like a normal bow but with only one loop. I always use it on my dressing-gown - seems to take less brain-power to do the one-looped variety when one is a bit bleary-eyed.

You start with the two ends the same length and do it so that the one loop is always upwards-pointing. The two dangling ends will be of different lengths.

But without being able to draw a diagram I cannot explain any further. Maybe someone else will come along after the Bank Hol and be able to give more detailed instructions.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Re: 15th / 16th century 'bows'

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Mon May 30, 2011 9:32 am

Start tying a normal bow, but instead of making sure that the second loop is nicely formed before tightening the bow, pull the loop all the way through to make a longer, hanging end and then tighten the knot

Later on this was known as a Lover's Knot. They look awfully pretty done in aigletted ribbons so I assumed that that was why the name; then I realised that it is a quick release knot....
single knot.JPG
single knot.JPG (3.97 KiB) Viewed 911 times

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Return to “Costumes”