Tanned Grey Squirrel Fur - useful content

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Joram van Essen

Tanned Grey Squirrel Fur - useful content

Postby Joram van Essen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:12 am

Hello

Does anyone know where I would be able to buy tanned grey squirrel fur suitable for lining a 15th jacket with?

Thanks.
Last edited by Alice the Huswyf on Wed May 11, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Buy ad sell on expiry to preserve undeful information

Drachelis

Re: WTB Tanned Grey Squirrel Fur

Postby Drachelis » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:46 pm

You can buy it from House of De Clifford

Cherry
Shadowlight

Joram van Essen

Postby Joram van Essen » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:33 am

Perfect, thank you.

House of De Clifford

Postby House of De Clifford » Mon May 02, 2011 12:12 am

Hi Joram,
we do indeed sell squirel. Can you pm me what the project is and your period/ status etc.. i will have more idea then of how to help you.
Dave.

House of De Clifford
Suppliers of ethical fur and hides to Re- enactment, Film, Tv and Theatre.
http://www.houseofdeclifford.co.uk

knight1066

Postby knight1066 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:11 am

Does anyone know where I would be able to buy tanned grey squirrel fur suitable for lining a 15th jacket with?

Did you mean "15th Century jacket".....In which case grey squirrel would be totally wrong as a lining because the Grey Squirrel wasn't introduced into Britain, by the Victorians, until the 19th Century from its native America.

Sorry to be such a killjoy. Red Squirrel would be okay as it is indiginous to Britain.

Death before dishonour...... The battlefield awaits
Mortis Priusquam Inhonesto Acies Exspecto

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Mon May 02, 2011 4:37 am

knight1066 wrote:Does anyone know where I would be able to buy tanned grey squirrel fur suitable for lining a 15th jacket with?

Did you mean "15th Century jacket".....In which case grey squirrel would be totally wrong as a lining because the Grey Squirrel wasn't introduced into Britain, by the Victorians, until the 19th Century from its native America.

Sorry to be such a killjoy. Red Squirrel would be okay as it is indiginous to Britain.

But if the squirrel was trapped in winter whilst in its winter coat as was usually the case, then grey and indeed white squirrel skins are available.
Even for England most squirrel was imported from what is now Russia rather than trapped here.

House of De Clifford

Postby House of De Clifford » Thu May 05, 2011 8:06 am

here we go again...! :crazy
This is not a rant or anything of the sort, but if you want to know whats what about a particular section of research in history, ask those who have done the research, do not rely on what you think may or may not be right. The Bloody victorians have got a lot to answer for as far as medieval history goes !
Squirrel fur was the backbone of the English fur trade right up to the early 14th Century. Without it , the SKinners guild would have been set back by about 200 years in England ! As it was, we were about 100 years behind the rest of Europe in style and fashion anyway (so far as fur goes).
Red squirrel was indeed used but it was rarely the native squirrel as the quality of fur was not great. (lack of cold climate compared to the Northern Russian and Scandinavian states). Winter pelts being preffered, due to the heavy dense fur compared to summer pelts, they were imported into England from the city of Novgorod through Germany to England. Winter red squirrel from these areas commonly turns grey in winter with the belly and throat contrasting in a pure white. It was not uncommon for some squirrels to turn almost black in winter coat, hence the German term 'blackwerk' for dark and 'gris' for grey pelts. If you saw red squirrel being used, it was not an inferior fur but was always second best to the winter grey squirrel fur. Therefore, grey is perfectly acceptable for use but observation as to how and who must be correct.
Regarding the use of squirrel, time period, status and location are essential key factors when deciding to use any fur on a historical garment, as is the colour and cut / pattern of the fur.
If anyone is committed to using real fur for their historical portrayal, please do not hesitate to contact de Cliffords for help, we do our best, and whilst it is not allways possible to help everyone, we have huge resources at our disposal in order to help you get it right.
Dave.

House of De Clifford

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Thu May 05, 2011 8:27 am

Fascinating Dave, thanks. 8-)

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Joram van Essen

Postby Joram van Essen » Thu May 05, 2011 11:30 am

Hello

Thanks for the reply Dave, I have sent you an email to your info@... address from your website. Sorry my original post was not as detailed as it could have been. Anyway, yes 15th century Burgundian silk velvet jacket, for a high class portrayal, and yes I have a Burgundian court account reference to Baltic (grey coloured) squirrel fur being appropriate for trimming the jacket with.

Cheers
Joram

House of De Clifford

Postby House of De Clifford » Thu May 05, 2011 11:47 am

Well done Joram, you have obviously done some homework. :thumbup: I have your email and am looking into what we can do to help you. The subject of fur in the middle ages is a real passion for both myself and Miranda, so much so that my 3rd year thesis will be based upon the fur trade of the late middle ages. I hope that it will eventually culminate in a useful and informative book that we plan to produce in the future regarding fur.
Dave.

House of De Clifford

Elenna DeVargr

Re: Tanned Grey Squirrel Fur - useful content

Postby Elenna DeVargr » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Thank you for that valuable piece of information Dave. I've mentioned the grey/red squirrel from Russia to some but they've looked at me as though I'm sadly lacking brain cells and usually replied 'No, no, no, they didn't have grey squirrels until after America was discovered and they are tree rats anyway.'

Now I can say 'told you so'. :D

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 am

House of De Clifford wrote:Well done Joram, you have obviously done some homework. :thumbup: I have your email and am looking into what we can do to help you. The subject of fur in the middle ages is a real passion for both myself and Miranda, so much so that my 3rd year thesis will be based upon the fur trade of the late middle ages. I hope that it will eventually culminate in a useful and informative book that we plan to produce in the future regarding fur.
Dave.

Great to hear that you intend to make a formal us of all the wonderful information you have researched. Wishing you much success with this. :D

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Return to “Costumes”