King's Head Buckles

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Tee

King's Head Buckles

Post by Tee »

http://finds.org.uk/blogs/westmidlands/ ... r-buckles/

I've started doing some research into this type of 14th Century Strap fitting. They appear to be a fairly rare excavated find, but are relatively common in the metal detected material. I've gone through the material recorded by the PAS & UKDFD, and now have 159 examples, some with strap plates still in place and some with pins.

However we are still unsure how exactly they were used, especially the clasp version.

I was hoping I could ask a favour or two off some of you Living History people. When you're looking through iconographic sources (paintings, effigies etc) for costume ideas, if you see any buckles with faces on, could you please take an image and let me know.

Equally if anyone has any replicas of them, and use them regularly, could I have some images of them in use and what you use them for?

Any help will be gratefully acknowledged when the research gets published and I'm more than happy to buy people a drink if they've given me something useful at an event in the summer!

Tee, of the Beaufort Compayne.
Thought is reality....matter but an illusion.

gaukler

Re: King's Head Buckles

Post by gaukler »

I've made some of the lion head style (NCL-730447 on the web page you linked to), but I've taken them out of production until I can find good evidence of their use. A king's head buckle/clasp is on my list of things to do, along with king's head strapends and belt mounts.
mark
Gaukler Medieval Wares
http://www.medievalwares.com

Tee

Post by Tee »

Thanks Gaukler.

If I PM you my email address, could I please have some images of your replicas?

That is one of the problems we have with them is that there is hardly any evidence of their use, it's one of the reasons why I've become intrigued by them. The buckles variants are more self explanatory in their function, but the two part folding clasps, less so, as there does not appear to be any major way of holding the strap tight. The only distinguishing feature between the buckles & the clasps, is the presence of a pin. The same frame seems to be used for both purposes. This is one of the reasons why I thought I would ask the re-enactment population if they had come across any in paintings or other sources.

I'm in the process of trying to track down some stratified examples, at the moment I only have 1 from London, which is where the 14th Century dating has come from. I'm sure there must be more out there, if the detector assemblage is anything to go by, they just need tracking down.

gaukler

Post by gaukler »

I"d be happy to send you a picture.
Is the London example the one published in Dress Accessories?
I'm confused by the "folding clasps", too. They are light-weight, often decorated, and don't seem to allow for adjusting the length of the strap. Unlike the King's head style, they do seem to have matching ends.
mark
Gaukler Medieval Wares
http://www.medievalwares.com

Tee

Post by Tee »

Yup, the London example is the #568 that the late Geoff Egan published in Dress Accessories. He has mentioned another one from a previous excavation in London but no images or description of that one. I'll try and track it down next time I'm at LAARC. There are a couple published in Meols, but they are unstratified, so not good for confirming dating or functionality.

I agree, there is a lot of confusion how, in particular the 2 part folding clasps, worked and how securely they held the strap. It's one of the reasons why I want to try and track down images of them in use, so that we can understand what was going on. I'm wondering whether the frame part folds over and clips onto the strap plate, trapping the fabric of the strap between them (working purely as the folding end on a 3 part folding clasp). However this would not explain why the upper surface of the strap plate is decorated, as it would be hidden by the frame clipping onto it.