Victorian spec frames?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

Victorian spec frames?

Post by sally »

Anyone know of a company doing appropriate spectacle frames for Victorian? I'm keeping an eye open for an original set to have reglazed, but wondered if anyone knew of any off the peg ones that didnt need a second mortgage.

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Re: Victorian spec frames?

Post by Lord Byron »

sally wrote:Anyone know of a company doing appropriate spectacle frames for Victorian? I'm keeping an eye open for an original set to have reglazed, but wondered if anyone knew of any off the peg ones that didnt need a second mortgage.
What sort of type are you after? Pince nez types in good shape can be had on Ebay frequently and very cheaply, eg:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Astig-type- ... 4cf4415d72
"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

hadnt thought of the US ebay, I keep an eye open on the UK one but will widen my search. They will need to have full rims to be worth reglazing I suspect?

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

Dead men's spex. Great folks with glasses for most eras. Most customer want 40s or 50s but he does keep earlier styles so do ask him.

http://www.deadmensspex.com/default/
Kate

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

Polygone

Post by Polygone »

there has been glasses seller at TORM when i have been
A.C.Parrott 19th Indiana (acws)

SergeantAdy

Post by SergeantAdy »

Polygone wrote:there has been glasses seller at TORM when i have been
I think i know who you mean Andy, but I can't find the link.. or Remember the name......

I got mine for about a tenner from Uk ebay, then found a friendly Optician to reglaze them for me, in my case it was £60 lenses + £30 custom fitting with optional £30 for glare reduce & scratch resist.
However, they were curious as all-out about why I wanted them, and once I'd gone through the spiel, they offered free fitting if I wanted the glare resist, so not bad.

Doesn't help much, though other than to put another vote in for ebay... and possibly eBid.....
Ady

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

reglazing is scarily expensive, in the first instance I'm going to try grinding down a pare of spare plastic lenses to fit, see if I can get a useable result for just occasonal wear.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Sally

It might be worth looking for "Goth" spectacles, or "Steam punk". on E bay.You used to be able to buy a simple wire framed pair in a shop in Soho, fairly cheap, but I don't know if it is still there.

Suzi

SergeantAdy

Post by SergeantAdy »

sally wrote:reglazing is scarily expensive, in the first instance I'm going to try grinding down a pare of spare plastic lenses to fit, see if I can get a useable result for just occasonal wear.
Ahh.. Fair point. I'm lucky in that respect I suppose that my prescription isn't that bad.
some opticians may be able to grind down existing lenses for you, which could be a cheaper option. Mind you, that means finding one that'll do that - I'd reccomend the smaller, non-chain branches perhaps?
Ady

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

I didn't think £45 was too bad. But then, I wear my period specs instead of modern ones. :eh:

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

Trevor Timms, 'Period Glasses'.

http://www.periodglasses.com/index.html

Nice chap, horrible website.
"I never said that I was here to help."

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

Hi Sally,

I have a basket of 5 or 6 Victorian frames in various states of needing repair. I've pince-nez, glasses with stems that do not go around the ears - that the ears are there to hold up glasses is a very late development - and one with a cardboard chatelaine glasses-case with the original glasses in them. I seem to remember that one pair is tinted blue, for some reason.

None of them cost as much as £45. And, bearing in mind our discussion about how organised one is, I'm pretty sure that I can find it as it was out some months ago. But where on earth am I likely to see you so that you can try them on for size?

SergeantAdy

Post by SergeantAdy »

Medicus Matt wrote:
Trevor Timms, 'Period Glasses'.

http://www.periodglasses.com/index.html

Nice chap, horrible website.
THATS the guy I was trying to remember!
Ady

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

I've got glasses from him as well, a top chap.