cloth buttons

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Adam the Archer

cloth buttons

Postby Adam the Archer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi
I am making a doublet in some of Stuart Peachey's Russet and want to make cloth buttons. But I am really struggling! Can anyone gove me some advice?
Adam

The sempster

Re: cloth buttons

Postby The sempster » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi Adam,
the russet is quite a thick material for a doublet, so I guess buttons will have to be fairly big. Which part of the button making process is causing problems?

Jackie Phillips

Postby Jackie Phillips » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Hi Adam,

I used the russet to make cloth buttons, and while tricky, is not entirely impossible.

Firstly you need really strong thread, stuff that you can barely break when you use all your strength. Similarly a strong needle, but not too thick.

Cut out a circle a little bigger than a 2p piece.

Sew, using tiny stitches, round the circumference, a millimetre or two inside. Draw the thread up to gather the edges together and finish off the thread with a couple of back stitches.

Flatten the disc with your fingers so that the gathered bit is in the centre of the circle.

Now, working across the diameter of the circle, catch the side and then the opposite side, then back again, drawing the edges in as you go. Keep going round until it is all drawn in. The easiest was to think of this is as if you were catching the numbers on a clock - 1o'clock, then 7o'clock, then 2o'clock, then 8o'clock, then 3o'clock, 9 etc

That should give you a small, hard ball with a little practice. Finish off with some back stitches and leave a long thread suitable for sewing onto the garment.

Your hands will hurt, but after a few you may be able to skip the initial drawing-in stage and just use your fingers to hold the folds in which takes less time.

Jackie

Trust your instincts, whatever else you do.

Adam the Archer

Postby Adam the Archer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks Jackie - I saw the buttons on the doublet you had at the market last year and it looked really good. I will give it a go and see how I get on!

Adam

Return to “Costumes”