Anyone got advice on how to air...

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

purple peril

Anyone got advice on how to air...

Post by purple peril »

...a really quite musty-smelling 1940's black astrakhan coat with (possibly) an arctic fox collar. Otherwise been really well looked after, got hardly any wear or damage for its age, and it's silk-lined and monogrammed, so I'm really intrigued as to its history as well.

Know it's not strictly a 'costume' but I do plan to wear it while time-tarting in the '40s :)

Kajte

Re: Anyone got advice on how to air...

Post by Kajte »

Ooh sounds lovely.

Is it real or synthetic astrakhan? I just picked up a tip about using bran to revive a "greasy" fur coat that we have in the shop. It apparently works like dry shampoos for hair, so potentially could remove smells too.

But no idea if it really works, maybe hang on till I've had a go on ours first :)

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

Furs should be kept cold and never kept in plastic. Wrap it in a single duvet and let it hang on padded coathanger somewhere dry, cool and airy like a dru garage for some time. Bran might not work too well as a cleaner with astrakhan, becuase of the tight nature of the pelt - you will remove impurities and embed bran flakes in the curls and DON'T steam it!

My late mother in law's lovely 1940's fur evening coat was stored in a bedroom wardrobe in a nice dustproof cover for years. It had dry rot when we found it.
Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

purple peril

Post by purple peril »

Thanks folks. Don't think it's real astrakhan though - apparently it's too heavy for a start :)

I think good old fresh air will probably be as good as anything. Maybe bicarb? Not actually applied to the coat itself but maybe in the same bag...? It's a thought anyway.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

Bicarb in a sachet hung inside the neckline - or good old lavender - as long as it is bagged you can use loads everywhere (but if put neat on cloth the oils can damage the cloth, so always bag it. Moths dislike it too.)
Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?