12th century dress required - advice needed

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

minti35

12th century dress required - advice needed

Postby minti35 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi

I need to buy/have a dress made for a medieval have-a-go archery shoot that our archery club is doing in August.

I must have googled Google so many times and have found only a couple of websites.

I want something authentic in style...can anyone recommend any websites or a good seamstress?

Thanks

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Re: 12th century dress required - advice needed

Postby Fox » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Minti,

This is now the third post you've made on this forum regarding this matter.
Before people start providing all the same information again, can I ask why you what hasn't satisfied you about the responses you've had to date?
Then perhaps people can provide some more appropriate advice.

minti35

Postby minti35 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Previous advice has mentioned mostly mens clothing...I need a dress, so have reposted and made it clear this time that I require womens clothing.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Dear minti,

Please let us know which part of the country you live in - we can then try to locate someone near to you. Also do you want wool, linen, or will poly-cotton do for ease of maintenance?

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:45 pm

Minti,

there are quite a few events happening around h country and most will have clothing traders from Basic to high end.and you may be able to find something off the peg Tewkesbury festival is on 10th/11th July and has a very big market

Your budget will dictate how easy it is to find something -what price are you looking at?

Cherry
Shadowlight Designs

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:29 pm

Minti - opt for linen or wool - and not just becuase it is correct. Poly-cotton can be sticky on a hot day, is limited in how toughly you can treat it for stain removal (ie should not be bleached) doesn't hang as well and decreases the market you can sell on to when you retire the clothing.

Linen is widely available, reasonably priced and washes like a dream, so is a very practical choice. It is cool on hot days, dries quickly on wet days and wicks body juices away well on cold days when you are layering for warmth. And nothing beats wool for warmth or layering - you just need to choose the appropriate weight - it also breathes with your body.

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Return to “Costumes”