calling professional seamstresses

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

JC Milwr

calling professional seamstresses

Postby JC Milwr » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:13 pm

Why does it take 6 months to make a wedding dress? Enquiring minds (and a body that needs to lose a lot of weight) wish to know!

We're getting hitched at the beginning of September next year, but as I'm pregnant now, I can't even start dieting until well into the New Year, so measuring for a dress 6 month in advance seems daft.

Advice and education much needed!

Ta

JC

PS The dress will probably be medieval, not high street, but I still want a better estimate of time <sigh>
Last edited by JC Milwr on Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DomT

Postby DomT » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:40 pm

Most of the high street wedding dress selling outfitts contract out the work to foreign parts. The 6 months is allow them to argue back and forth, cheat the foreigners into the lowest rate possible and refuse to do anything about the fact the dress doesnt even com close to fitting.

Okay granted i'm a little peeved with the outfit that did my Better Halfs dress. She may well have gain weight between measurement and deilvery but the changes they claimed were impossible.
(ie her dress was about 10" to small on waist but about 20" to big on chest.).

Find a British maker dont go high street.

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:30 pm

It doesn't - but a busy and popular seamstress may have a big order book , I am busy myself until the end of September/early October. A simple outfit can take two days to a week to make - more elaborate ( especially with embroidery ) takes longer.

I would suggest that you choose your seamstress - discuss pattern fabrics etc get swatches sent and drawings/photographs going back and forth and book the time when you wish the dress to be complete ( I would give around a month prior to the wedding so that any alterations can be made if needed)

Once you have booked that date and done all the design work the seamstress would be able to give you a date that she would need to start making the dress to meet the deadline - that is when you send over your measurements (if you can't meet up that is).

so your dress is designed and booked - you send your measurements a couple of months before the wedding when there isn't much time to change size before the day.

Shadowlight Designs

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:59 am

As Drachelis says you need to get the time booked to allow for variables

interesting ones Debs has experienced are
massive weight fluctuation (up to 2 stone)
many changes of mind usually made worse the more people involved in the process

But to give you an idea that 6 months is not that bad she is just cmpleting a wedding dress for thsi bank holiday which was ordered 18 months ago. But thats a full 19th century crinoline jobby.
I'll be glad as I wont have to use mirrors to see the television any more

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:27 am

I make the occasional wedding clothes, men and women, and will take orders up to 6 months ahead. (As I make other clothes, I often have 6 months' worth of orders.) However, I will not take measurements until I am ready to start making, usually a month in advance. Women in particular can change shape, without measurements changing, and many want to lose weight before the big day. (That includes men, by the way.)

shade

Probably gonna get into trouble

Postby shade » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:45 pm

but I have to do this....Have you professional seamstresses thought of forming a Guild (sorry, had to do it even though its old & obvious)

Shall I think of Honour as lies,
Or lament its aged slow demise

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:01 pm

I would be interested to know why you think we would need to form a Guild.

His Grace, Duke Henry

Postby His Grace, Duke Henry » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:30 pm

Shadowcat wrote:I would be interested to know why you think we would need to form a Guild.

Little do they know that they get discussed behind their backs plenty already. The re-enactment costume industry is a very cosy one, with most of the suppliers in a very friendly and pretty much uncompetative market. There is enough work to go round, we all have our own little niches and will cheerfully pass on business outside of our core target markets to other costumier friends. It is a simple matter of survival really. Re-enactors - much as they dislike the idea - get their costume at ridiciously low prices compared to the prices charged by bespoke dressmakers outside of the industry. If a lot of us would admit it please, the work pays mostly less than the minimun wage even. Let's not start on the hours.

Guild? Smmguild! Who's got time for talking, there's orders to be got out the door already!

<disappears again to do some more finishing off and labelling>

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:08 pm

Hear Hear well said - better than I could. I have been in the costume business for 30 mumble years, and have never felt the need for a Guild. And I get help from fora such as this and others, personal contacts, traders I meet and so on.

Off to finish boning a wedding corset.

Kate Tiler
Post Centurion

Postby Kate Tiler » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:27 pm

I think that was a reference to Mr Pratchett, where in Ankh-Morpork, the guild of seamstresses is occasionally surprised to open the door to an elderly gentleman clutching a pair of trousers that need taking up.

Return to “Costumes”